Advice for akathisia

Anyone have any advice or tips on how to deal with akathisia? It’s really starting to affect me, and was just looking for some advice on how to handle it

1 Like

I used to have it bad and took the addictive procyclidin, but now I am off the procyclidin and mostly akathisia free. When I do get it, lying in bed at night I move my legs in a cyclic action just hovering over the bed until the legs ache from exercising and the build up of lactic acid, and this seems to relieve the need to have to move them at all. It works for me, but after a decade of consistent compliance maybe my body is used to it more now.

2 Likes

I’m mostly just pacing the house, or going on walks to help with the restlessness. I also find Ativan helps a little bit

1 Like

Perhaps cutting out or addressing the following factors might alleviate it some:

Iron deficiency. People who are deficient in iron are at risk for RLS, even if they do not have anemia
Folic acid or magnesium deficiencies
Smoking
Alcohol abuse
Caffeine.

From the webpage: http://trihealth.adam.com/content.aspx?productId=10&pid=10&gid=000095

Even though I know it is med caused, the above might help.

1 Like

The difference between walking and a brief period of intense exercise to build up lactic acid is the point I am trying to make. Perhaps, an exercise bike for an intense couple of minutes might make the difference and actually although initially painful, it might serve you better than the constant need to walk. It might be worth a try at least. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I do have a bike, i might try that intense couple of minutes to see what happens. Thanks for your help

1 Like

Report back and give us an update. The lactic acid build up works for me and if it worked for you then we might be on to something.

I agree, strong physical exercise helps.

Pregabalin or gabapentin both help me.

yea just rode my bike up a steep incline a few times…it does help

2 Likes

Have your dr prescribe u lamictal it takes away my akathisia, a low dose of 25mg or 50mg should do the job.