Addicted to idleness

I like calm. My mind for some reason is not made to function like others. Haven’t been around many people since I was 10 y/o, I think this is to blame mainly.

But im curious if anyone on here has this problem too?

On days where Ive not much going on at home, I would like to grab my bike and check out downtown. Maybe talk to a few people as id likely run into some old psych ward acquaintances (one of the many benefits to a dozen stays in 2 years…!). Something. But i sit at home or pace around instead. Lame!

2 Likes

Lack of motivation is a symptom of the disease. So it could be difficult to do the things you’ve described. I suffer from it too.

But some days are better than others.

2 Likes

Dude I’m totally consumed in an actively idle lifestyle. Like I’m actively just sitting around writing poetry listening to music and pacing. Idk I can’t get myself to commit to an every day structure so I just kinda isolate and pass the time

A word that comes to mind why I’m so idle is that I am “sensitive” some days more than others but I can’t risk putting myself out there daily in fear of my bad days.

1 Like

I get what you said about sensitivity. On good days i dont hand out resumes or talk to a volunteer coordinator because I know a) theyll think im dumb and crazy or b) i wont be able to follow through on bad days.

Sz is mean.

1 Like

I’m totally addicted to being idle. I just like to isolate and self medicate, it’s all I want to do. That’s why I’m in IOP

2 Likes

I think there’s a difference between solitude and idness. Solitude is good, idleness is bad. If you’re just staying alone a lot nothing wrong with that, but I think keeping busy even when at home is important

5 Likes

Yeah I’ve suffered from a lot of isolaiton and just doing things to pass the time in my apartment. Couldn’t figure out how to be with people and because of the delusions I’ve had. I feel like a dumb wreck all the time, I think I’m a bit manic on the inside from it all. Just suffering in my head all the time.

1 Like

Absolutely so, i feel my sanity has been worsening due to my constant state of staring at a wall/pacing. Sure, im thinking of stuff, but its all confused thinking.

I may not get alot done but I’m not sleeping 24/7 like I used to.

1 Like

Are you interested in philosophy?

Well at least you weren’t around people in the outside. I wasn’t around people both outside or online for sort of 10years. Or at least that’s what my voices say. Do you count 2 or 3 close friends as being around or not.:slightly_frowning_face::slightly_frowning_face::slightly_frowning_face:

I like to be alone most of the time. Too much stimulation wigs me out. It’s hard to be at work with all the noise and people walking around. I keep hoping it gets easier but it doesnt.
On the other hand I don’t like to be bored. It seems like I wrestle with idleness and boredom all the time.

2 Likes

I deal with mild social anxiety which is helped by my medicine. Social connections are invaluable however so I gotta push myself to reach out to others sometimes.

I hate idleness. If I had a really busy day and didn’t sit around much, I feel more accomplished. If I spent more than say 1 hour doing nothing, I end up feeling ashamed of myself. :frowning:

I tend to have days of idleness but I think it’s more related to lack of motivation and avolition

I can relate to your situation. I sit idle most days, listening to the internals. I have many things to keep me busy, but I have a hard time getting motivated and to stay motivated.

I feel for ya. Too much stimulation makes me uneasy or anxious.

I spend most of my days staying inside my apartment and listening to my radio, and taking care of my cat.

3 Likes

I sometimes wear earplugs at restaurants or the movie theatre.
Sound sensitivity

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.