Actress dies of prolonged Keto diet: Experts warn of consequences

Well it’s not up to me anymore. But we’re not reddit or 4chan.

The problem is that diets had become ideological, like vegans vs. carnivores fights.

We have to go by solid, state of the art science.

I suppose talking about dinner will be fine then… :smiley:

Yes, we only allow talk about boring things. Dinner is fine but we’d prefer that you limit your threads to topics such as the weather, tax forms or insurance.

1 Like

Fine then. Let’s start with what I don’t eat. No soda, no pizza, no bread for months for me. I’ve gained weight from stress eating carbage during the initial phases of the pandemic. The so-called quarantine 15lb. Lost ten lb since stopping most carbs.

This is internet and not medical advice. It’s up to individuals to decide what’s right for them. I am just parroting science. Nothing here I stated came from quacks. I can provide references. It seems that censorship is far more harmful. It’s better to know than not.

I lost 3.5 kg since starting keto 3 weeks ago. I had stopped losing weight using traditional and acceptable techniques such as a low calorie diet with exercise. I can’t criticise the meds as this is a pro med web page for giving me diabetes type 2, and enjoy eating my eggs and bacon in the morning.

I can’t endorse a diet that doesn’t have the average, current scientific norms, but I have lost weight nevertheless. :wink:

I don’t eat bacon, too much fat, calories and cholesterol lol I prefer ham that’s low in fat.

Keto is being looked at by the military, and the military tends to be pretty conservative.

1 Like

That is the whole point of keto to change the body into fat burning rather than carb (sugar) reliance.

You can measure the ketosis in your urine telling you when you are burning fat rather than carbs.

Have you actually asked your doc about a keto diet?

I haven’t had bacon in 15 years before keto. It seems counterintuitive but I’ve lost weight.

But bacon has lots of cholesterol too. I would rather eat healthy fats, monounsaturated fat etc

1 Like

The only problem I see with bacon is that most bacon is too high in the wrong fat. I am talking about oleic and linoleic because pigs are fed corn and soy, so they store quite a bit of it in their fat.

Ruminants don’t have that problem, but grass-fed is always so much better.

don’t do it then. It is up to you.

Lose weight traditionally. Calorie restricted and with exercise.

Good luck!

1 Like

Thanks!

I think I am doing the mediterranean diet because I am mediterranean lol

1 Like

That’s not a reliable way to measure ketones, and it’s not needed. I’ve done blood measurements, but as long as carbs are limited it’s just a gimmick to me.

Good point. Ancestral diets, like the diets of your great grandparents before the processed carbage and industrial seed oils are often good enough on their own.

1 Like

It just tells me I am in ketosis. The actual measurement is between this and that.

I am not going to do this long term. I miss fruit too much :smiley:

I am not dogmatic even with keto. I don’t have to be in ketosis all the time. Occasional deviations don’t matter that much. There are some that argue we need to occasionally break ketosis for muscles’ sake anyway in regards to insulin signaling.

1 Like

I’m following a low fat diet.
Allowing for some foods containing unsaturated fats.

Omega 3 oils are best.

I allow myself to take prescription strength fish oil capsules.

So far I’ve lost 8 pounds.

2 Likes