Schizophrenia.com

Accepting your unsuccessful life

I can’t say why I am content with having less success.

I recently accepted this (had lots of delusions about what my future will be) and this is what i said to myself that helps me to feel better;
my life isnt even that bad, just becuase its not what i planned, or expected, or what i think it should be, it is still a good life

I am successful compared to my psychotic self.

1 Like

Yeah, I’m a janitor.
Yeah I screw up even though it’s a simple job.
Yeah I lose sleep at night paranoid I’ll lose my job.
Yeah, I feel understimulated ALL the time.
I screw up doing the most simple tasks, like driving.
Yeah, I’m overweight.
BUT
I’m drug and alcohol free.
I have a beautiful girlfriend :heart_eyes:
I make rent and have my own apartment
I have an abundance of food.
I have a solid relationship with my parents.
I have a cool car.
I have a couple of friends.
I have wellness type therapy.
I have every single thing I need in life and a few wants.

My best advice — focus on the little things like snap benefits and thrift stores, treat yerself with ice cream, not piles of cash…

1 Like

don’t! don’t give in, never give up. see every day as an opportunity to rise above. accepting your fate is a cop-out! your fate may involve scz, but it does not mean you can’t achieve your goals. i’m sorry but I am toxically positive!

1 Like

I just got out of the state hospital where I was committed for over a year… I’m back in my tiny apartment, still have my car, and have been given back my dog. I am living on disability payments, public assistance, and food stamps…I am below the poverty line and living very much paycheck to paycheck. I make no “future” plans beyond the next couple of weeks…many of my former peers would say I haven’t succeeded in life, and maybe earlier in my life I would have indeed considered myself unsuccessful. BUT…I AM alive! And I have so many things I am grateful for. They told my parents I would be dead or institutionalized by the age of 21…and, even with a couple of long-term hospital stays, I am now 47 years old. I guess the ideas of success versus failure are very dependent on subjective experience and need to be defined less often on objective measures. I’m so happy to be here today!

4 Likes

That’s good advice. I’ve been on disability since 3/24/2008. Before then I lived with my mom and worked 32 hours a week in my aunt-in-law’s store. I had a good paying job back in the 1980’s and lived in my own place until 1994.

How old are you @ArtofTheButterfly

My “unsuccessful” life is successful indeed because a serious attempt to off myself was unsuccessful, ergo I am a success by failing. I’m not in a hospital, not in a shelter, not in jail, still living, breathing, excreting, reasonably sound of body and mind (maybe), I never expected anything out of life so anything I have counts as a bonus. Yay me.

1 Like

You’re better off. I had huge expectations for myself, huge goals, desires… and I’ve got none of it, and I’m so very unhappy. I’m constantly reading through medical research on ways to get it back.

1 Like

Life is a series of successes and failures. Just don’t quit :blush:

2 Likes

We all end up dead as a doornail someday. Even the mightiest become weak someday. Even the happiest people have unhappy days. Even the unhappiest people can remember good days. We all can remember the day we were our strongest. We all probably got to have some fun at some point in our lives. Even successful people have stressful days. Divorces happen to stable people. The list goes on and on.

Honestly, success is a matter of perspective and can be big or small. Many people think success is getting a job and making a lot of money, but that’s ableist. If you get up in the morning successfully which you could not do before, then that might be a success for you!

2 Likes

so great to read all your positive replies XXX
Most people are as happy as they make up their mind to be
i value happiness over striving and failing on repeat

1 Like

@LevelJ1 !!! Is that you!!! You’re back!!

WOOHOO! Missed you so much! How are you?

(Sorry to derail the thread)

1 Like

I’m baaaaack :blush::blush::blush::blush:

3 Likes

welcome back @LevelJ1
=)

1 Like

Thanks @lekkerhondje hope your doing well :blush:

1 Like

I met a traveller from an antique land,

Who said—“Two vast and trunkless legs of stone

Stand in the desert. . . . Near them, on the sand,

Half sunk a shattered visage lies, whose frown,

And wrinkled lip, and sneer of cold command,

Tell that its sculptor well those passions read

Which yet survive, stamped on these lifeless things,

The hand that mocked them, and the heart that fed;

And on the pedestal, these words appear:

My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings;

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!

Nothing beside remains. Round the decay

Of that colossal Wreck, boundless and bare

The lone and level sands stretch far away.”

So true @labratmat , for the vast majority of people living in the “propertied class”. The more they have the more they want. It’s an endless mad cycle of asset accumulation which results in the destruction of the planet Earth we all share. Capitalism as it exists today is criminally responsible for climate change and the all encompassing reckless destruction of life here on Earth. I am disgusted with capitalism despite having been trained with an MBA as a Stewart of capitalism and having built and managed several businesses before developing late onset schizophrenia.

2 Likes