Accepting your unsuccessful life

I didn’t set out to be successful, and by many standards I’m not. But as my sister told me, I got dealt a bad hand and I managed to do a lot with it. I’m not giving up by any means, but even if I lose everything I got, I managed to do a hell of a lot in life and I can rest easy knowing I gave it my best shot. So in that sense maybe I’m successful. I got a long ways to go though still (I hope).

8 Likes

It’s tough and I empathize with this sentiment. I’m constantly torn between wanting to go easy on myself and just accept my situation, and wanting to improve myself. I used to believe I could do anything. Now, I’m just trying to survive, do well at my job, keep in touch with friends. In my opinion, with serious mental illness, just surviving is a serious accomplishment.

5 Likes

I’ve had a measure of wealth and “success” in my lifetime. And I can tell you that all that success came fraught with excess responsibility and extreme stress. And it was not worth it in my book.

And I also found out that no matter how little or how much financial or material “wealth” you have, whether it be $50, $500, $50,000, $50,000,000, or $500,000,000,000, it is never, ever enough. You always crave more and more thinking you are somehow going to run out of money.

4 Likes

Good posts @77nick77 and @att159.

1 Like

objective success beats subjective success almost every time

2 Likes

Maybe by a little but I think your own perceptions of yourself make all the difference in the world to how you feel. Beating yourself up because you are unable to accomplish something does not do you any good. I think it’s best to try to appreciate what you are able to do.

5 Likes

I am accepting the failure, but keep fighting.

1 Like

I can’t accept it. I’ve never been able to accept it, or my illness.

1 Like

I’ve learned to get rid of expectation. I like my life and it’s rich and realized enough to keep me happy. It’s different from most other people I know but we all have baggage. You get to 50 you’ve got some and although my path may be different I’m not dissimilar from others my age.

If you rid yourself of expectation your never going to be disappointed.

3 Likes

There’s a difference between being rich and being greedy. You probably heard it said that, “it is easier for a Camel to Go Through The Eye of The Needle than for a rich man to enter the Kingdom of God.:” BUT, did you know that the proverbial ‘Eye of The Needle’ is actually a small gate in Jerusalem. If one were trying to get a Camel Through It, it would have to have all of its burden taken off, get down on its knees and go through. The gate is only the size of Man. Plus, people that were around when the gate was built, were a lot shorter than they are now. Probably Hobbits or something;)

1 Like

"Woe To The Rich … " because all the envious and greedy people will blame them for the end of the World, instead of themselves.

My best private employer, the one I stayed with the longest, were rich republican conservatives. I worked well as I could and they gave me dollar raises every year, medical, dental, 401(k) … ate with them in the finest restaurants and at their house during the holidays, on their dime. When the real ■■■■■■■■ wrecked the economy in 2008, they kept me on for another year and a half, signed me up for Unemployment Insurance without telling me, and gave me a $7,000 severance check when there was no work left for me to do.

1 Like

No problem accepting im not getting rich or successful, but i struggle with the lack of my own family, a girlfriend, a job, just an ordinary job…

A general purpose in life instead of this emptiness

3 Likes

I have a Hard time accepting that I’m not going back to work.
I’m trying to make my son the purpose of my life right now. He really needs me and I want to be there for him.

3 Likes

That is Noble of you

1 Like

I don’t know, as I told you, I find it Hard being a mom

2 Likes

I’m sure it’s very difficult at times. But you are doing right by your son, and that’s all that counts

1 Like

Being successful is subjective. I try to compare where I’m at to where I was, say 5 years ago. I think it’s important to not compare yourself to others.

4 Likes

" The happiest man is the one who is content with the least" Socrates

1 Like

My god the misery