Accepting sadness and reality

Day treatment has really brought me from dejection to the point where I’m happy and confident a good deal of the time. I am going back to work, my anxiety and depression are mostly gone, and I’m usually positive. Now I feel like it’s time for me to accept the things that make me sad. Some things are that I will always be a little different from everyone else my age and I’ll always have schizophrenia, my parents aren’t going to be proud of me right now even if I work, I am living with my parents, my friends mostly have mental illness, my parents are growing old, my cousin has cancer, I spend a good deal of time on this forum or outside at the library wasting time, I’m single, meds have side effects at night.
There’s probably more I need to come to terms with, but I just feel better accepting that not everything in life is happy all the time and things can’t be perfect. Accept reality. Overall I don’t have too much to complain about, though. What are some things in your life that you feel sad about? Some things will get better with a good therapy program and self effort, but some won’t.

2 Likes

It seems your mother is critical of you that must be hard. I really can’t give advice because I’ve many failures in life. My failures stem from my inability to ask for help.

My daughter’s dad crossed boundaries by wanting to have sex b4 marriage. I didn’t want this but I felt I couldn’t call anyone to ask them to make him leave me alone. I felt alone. Eventually I fell asleep one night in my apartment. When I woke up he was on top of me undressing me. I couldn’t move. I froze up. I got pregnant that day.

I’d been planning to study abroad in Spain but instead I quit college and went to work to take care of my baby. She was a beautiful baby though.

1 Like

That guy really wasn’t respecting your rights. I rarely end up with bad guys for some reason, they’re usually nice. Guess because I wore glasses and most guys who are bad don’t go for the nerdy type. Now that I got laser surgery I get irritating attention from all sorts. Yes I’ve been really tired lately due to treatment so my mom has been driving me around and doing the cooking. She feels like I’m relying on her too much and can’t survive on my own. For example, I called her 4 times on her day off and that ticked her off. It’s time to make some changes in this area, though I feel like she’s being too inpatient and I would’ve gotten there eventually. I’m going to try to put more energy on my own life like support group and work and things that interest me outside the family.

1 Like

Honey I wore glasses. There was a Spanish guy (from Spain) who liked me back when I met my daughter’s father but I didn’t think I was pretty enough for him (I was gorgeous back then and didn’t know it).

1 Like

You have developed a great outlook on life. You should be proud of your accomplishments and for moving forward with your life and not letting schizophrenia define you. Yes, we have to accept it’s part of us, but not all of us.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 95 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.