Academic performance predicts risk of suicide attempt

2 Likes

Oh, at 16 I was in top 3 of my class! It wasnā€™t until 3 years later that I started struggling in schoolā€¦ so I missed the vulnerability window :relieved: whew!

1 Like

I think that itā€™s OK to be stupid.

I was always one of the highest achievers throughout school but was depressed as ā– ā– ā– ā–  from age 13/14 onwards

3 Likes

I also did well in school, but was really depressed and thought of suicide often. That started when I was 12. But I did well in school up through college.

2 Likes

In the space of 9 years I went from outperforming boys who later got scholarships to being a very mediocre student. I think it was very much to do with unrecognised learning difficulties . Depression kicked in around the age of 15.5 .

3 Likes

Iā€™ve had D average ever since 2nd grade lol

Iā€™m not sure about my suicide ā€œattemptsā€, if you could call them that.

Always did good at athletic stuff though.

Thatā€™s something I was never good at.

People canā€™t help lack of intelligence. People can help being intelligent and nasty.

2 Likes

At age 16 I was terribly depressed and suicidal, yet I was getting straight Aā€™s at that time, finished high school with a 3.6, which is pretty good considering I had a 3.0 freshman year. I made two suicide attempts at age 20, were what led me to be diagnosed with depression (Iā€™d been having some psychotic symptoms since age 15, though the dr didnā€™t know that) and put on antidepressants.

2 Likes

I did really bad in high school but excelled in junior college. When I was at university, I got all cā€™s in my stem classes ( not including the two Pā€™s); lost a scholarship; but I got Bā€™s and Aā€™s in economics and finance. I donā€™t know. Maybe I should be worried about going back to school? Iā€™m smart but I just couldnā€™t do well in those math classes because of my test scores. I had anxiety, memory loss, and confusion. I attempted suicide once a couple years ago because of paranoia.

There should be another method of measuring academic performance for people who fall behind in school because of mental illness. The pressure and expectation of academic success often pushes vulnerable students to the edge of their abilities. When they cannot meet those high expectations set by parents and peers suicide becomes a way out. Sad. Letā€™s hear it for Pink Floyd:

2 Likes

I think itā€™s very important to be resilient, and if someone is consistently getting high grades the jury is out as to whether that person can successfully adapt to adversity.

When the ā€˜smartā€™ student gets a C or D, how do they react to it? Do they get depressed? Do they quit? Or worse?

Iā€™ve thought about suicide in the past. Did a lot of research on ways and means. Almost tried to decapitate myself once with a very large knife, and since that time Iā€™m too scared to think of it again. Itā€™s not good. Freaks me out

1 Like

I was struggling at 16. I was very bulimic and although I was in all honors classes, I was actively trying to get out of them. Threatening the male teacherā€™s with sexual harassment charges and everything to get out of the honors classes.