About medication for quitting smoking

How does it work? Do you get into the habit again once you cease taking it? Im considering asking my doc about it, since it seems I’m unable to quit by myself…

2 Likes

I used Zyban to quit. Once you started the meds, you choose a day between day 1 from start to day 20 to quit. I chose day 18.

You really got to WANT to quit. I drank Zyban for about 2 months but the cravings only stopped after 4 months. I quit 31 May 2007. Its the best decision I took in my life.

Good luck with quitting.

4 Likes

I’ve only tried nicotine gum and it didn’t help me kick the smoking habit.

Maybe I’ll try some medicine in the future. I’m also interested in other people’s experience with this.

1 Like

Yeah nicotine gum just made me crave more nicotine at the end.

1 Like

I tried zyban to quit, but it didn’t decrease my cravings and gave me suicidal ideation!

1 Like

I quit when I use the patch plus change my habits. Im really struggling right now since I went back to smoking, but my dad has had 2 years clean since he quit. I went to visit him and cleared things up that were not helping me. He was very supportive.

3 Likes

It seems that it isn’t your case only, and it’s pretty widespread…

3 Likes

I tried Chantix even though it has a disclaimer that it could be bad if you’re mentally ill. I forget how it all came to be, being prescribed for me.

I had really neat dreams on it, but failed in the end

It would be the best thing I’ve ever done if I could quit.

1 Like

I quit using the patch. I had to really want it tho. Ive tried quitting in the past and only last 2-4 weeks. I followed the step down for the patch and havent worn it in about a month. Im at 3 months smoke-free now. I know its not a lot, but its significant for me. So the patch, the desire, and your attitude. Thats the way to quit.

1 Like

You are there now! Ive read that first three months are the worst experience

1 Like

I have some Chantix but I haven’t started it yet.

1 Like

I take bupropion (voxra) for adhd, depression and quitting smoking. I started it 3 years ago and I’m still on it, because as it helped me quit smoking it helped me with mood and concentrating.

3 Likes

I use nicotine replacement therapy when i cant afford or just want to stop smoking for a bit. It helps take away the craving to smoke but if you run outta gum or patches or whatever, then your back at square one. I canr actually kick the nicotine habit. But at least gum and the like arent anywhere near as harmful. And they say nictone itself can be almost beneficial for sz in things like concentration and that.

1 Like

Chantix isn’t for everyone but it’s clever tech. It’s a partial agonist and you smoke first week or so when you take it. You then stop whilst continuing the med and I did that and never smoked again. It was so easy and didn’t even finish the course. Talk to your doctor. It can be problematic for some but it worked so easily for me.

3 Likes

I’ve no plans of quitting but aim to cut back so I smoke 30 cigs aday and consume 30 nicotin gumms.

2 Likes