About antipsychotics

Do you guys know, is there any antipsychotic that does not cause constipation? Also I’m having such annoying urinary retention and I don’t know is it because cariprezeine or dulsevia (duloksine, antidepressive). My doctor refuse to admit those symptoms exist because medication…

1 Like

I don’t know off the top of my head know which antipsychotics can cause constipation. Too lazy to look it up. I don’t have it on Aripiprazole(Abilify) though. Just my personal experience.

1 Like

Ok, maybe I’m not too lazy to look up an article for you:

Management of constipation in patients with schizophrenia—a case study and review of literature | Middle East Current Psychiatry | Full Text.

1 Like

Thanks very much man. I’m switching on abilify anyway. I’m hoping it will be much better. :blush:

2 Likes

It’s not a problem for me. Hasn’t been over three decades of being on various APs. If you’re constipated the first things to try are drinking more water, adding more fibre to your diet (psyllium husk supplements are recommended), and getting more active to increase bowel motility. Even half an hour of walking a day can make a big difference. Don’t start pounding laxatives without talking to a doctor first – those things can go sideways on a person.

Welcome to the community.

2 Likes

Thank you very much dude. :blush:

1 Like

I only had constipation on Clozapine

Not had it on any others

Urinary retention is not something I have had before to my knowledge

1 Like

None of my aps ever caused constipation

1 Like

I wish my meds caused urinary retention.
I love asenapine but I’m peeing like 10 times a day

1 Like

For me it’s not less frequent peeing, but not being able to finish peeing normally, i have to force it drop by drop for several minutes to finish. I also use toilet paper for that. While I was on risperidone, it took me 10-15 minutes to get everything out of me, 5-10 times a day.

my ap’s have not caused this but, my ad (cymbalta) does if I dont hydrate myself enough.

1 Like

I was constipated for 14 years and I took movicol 2 sacks a day. I will advice you to use laxatives since they protect your body. Now haven’t used laxatives for 3 months and I go to the toilet twice a day.

1 Like

I was constipated before starting an AP. I use Metamucil. It’s a fiber rich powder that goes into water.

1 Like

I don’ think I ever had it due to antipsychotics. But trihexyphenidyl did gave me constipation when I used to take it.

1 Like

Trihexyphenidyl is antidepressant?

You have been constipated because of that supplement Metamucil before AP terapation?

My psych meds don’t cause constipation but my diabetes/weight loss drug Ozempic does.

1 Like

I’m on clozapine I rarely have constipation
I eat lots of fruit and I eat bran flakes And weetabix for breakfast
Also drink lots of water

1 Like

It is given for extrapyramidal symptoms.

1 Like

The Metamucil is to relieve constipation. I have to take it everyday. I was constipated before I was on an AP. So my AP didn’t cause constipation.

1 Like