Abnormal Psychology Course

I still remember the Abnormal Psychology course I took in University. The course taught me about mental illnesses, pharmacology, how the brain works and how to diagnose a patient. All that information has assisted me in understanding the variety of psychological disorders people can have. It’s unfortunate that I couldn’t pursue a bachelor’s degree and major in psychology. Has anyone here on this forum had the chance to take a course similar like this?

2 Likes

I accepted in master’s of clinical psychology but left it because of my illness,

I minored in psychology so I got to take a lot of classes in it! I’m very interested in psychology, especially abnormal as it’s been a huge part of my life lol. I hope to go to school to be a psychiatric nurse practitioner.

2 Likes

It’s good to know a bit about psychology than know nothing about it at all.

1 Like

Yep, I took abnormal psych a few years ago, when I was planning on becoming a psych nurse. That was a mistake. It was a great course, though, with a great instructor. I would sit there in class while he was discussing this stuff, knowing that no one around me realized that the things he was talking about with psychosis and such applied to me. I kept waiting for someone to make a stupid, ignorant comment, but no one ever did.

1 Like

I haven’t taken a class on it but I’ve done a bunch of research on my own

1 Like

I took psychology but halfway through realised I meant to take a BA in Philosophy.

I took an intro to psych class a long time ago.

I really enjoyed it. Currently I enjoy reading anything by CG Jung.

I took abnormal psycology in college. I thought I had every diagnosis in there except schizophrenia, then I ended up with schizophrenia.

2 Likes

Yea i took abnormal psych 2 years ago.

One of the first and only exercises professor had us do was try to convince a person that something or someone they knew was real didn’t exist. For example trying to convince someone their dad didn’t exist or their iphone wasn’t real. It was to show us how hard it is to convince an sz their delusions arent real and shows how sincerely they believe delusions.

-thought this was interesting, i don’t think we are 100% certain our delusions are real the way we know our father’s exist tho

1 Like