Abilify Increase

Hi all,

Had a prescriber appointment yesterday, and she wants to bump up Abilify from 10mg to 15mg-- she’s been trying to increase the dose since our first visit back in November.

I felt like that was a kinda hasty decision, especially since it was our first time meeting, plus the jump from 10mg to 15mg seemed super high.

Yesterday, I mentioned that I was having some breakthrough symptoms, and she was real adamant about going to 15mg. These breakthrough symptoms aren’t anything I can’t handle, and my functioning has been decent on 10mg.

15 mg worries me-- I don’t want to be overly-medicated, I don’t want to re-experience the restlessness, and I’m worried about more side effects.

I want to trust my prescriber’s judgement. After all, she’s had the training and makes the big bucks-- but I can’t help but feel hesitant about this increase.

So I guess my questions are:
Has anybody made the jump from 10mg to 15 mg? What was it like? How do you feel being on a higher dose? Should I just stick to 10mg? Any advice?

Thanks!

HellO @Schztuna

@everhopeful should know this question :slight_smile:

Paging him !!

2 Likes

I increased my dose from 10mg to 15mg. I became more stable but the anxiety and restlessness increased for me too.

However I take over the counter supplements to counteract the anxiety/restlessness now. (Broccoli sprout extract and L-theanine).

My life was a misery on 10mg looking back.

1 Like

Hey @anon39015889 :slightly_smiling_face:
Thanks for the assist! :+1:

1 Like

Thanks for answering, @everhopeful :slightly_smiling_face:

Good to hear you became more stable on 15mg-- but what you mentioned about the side effects stinks.

I’m glad the supplements are working out for you, though-- I actually bought some L-theanine after reading a few of your posts recommending it. Have yet to try it on a consistent basis, but it’s good to know that it’s an option in case the side effects worsen.

Thanks again!

1 Like

I did go from 10 to 15mg in 2016 but it was a long time ago. I can’t really remember the difference…

But if you are having breakthrough symptoms then maybe it’s a good idea, at least for a year or so where u don’t experiernce breakthru symptoms anymore. Obviously speak it thru with ur pdoc. Maybe u are experiencing more stress and can learn some stress management techniques thru that time. Dunno what those breakthrough symptoms might be doing to your brain that’s why.

I remember experiencing restlessness too at the start but it did subside fortunately after a few weeks

1 Like

Thanks @anon90843118 :slightly_smiling_face:

That’s a great point-- the symptoms definitely pop up when experiencing something other than the usual routine (which happens somewhat often and can be stressful for sure). Especially happened over the holidays, but that’s a given, lol. Will look into stress management techniques and revisit some CBT as well.

Glad your restlessness went away after a few weeks-- gives me hope that it won’t last too long if it comes back.

:hibiscus:

1 Like

Hello there. Did you manage to come off of antipsychotics like you said in another post?