A strange question

For as long as I can remember when I was alone in my room I always heard this soft beeping sound outside. I took it to be some kind of electrical instrument, like a transformer or something. It didn’t bother me. I kind of liked it, though I wondered what it was. Now that beeping sound has disappeared. That puzzles me. I don’t think it was an halucination. What could have happened to it? Does anyone know?

A smoke alarm looking for its batteries to be replaced probably.

A soft beep could be from a computer, laptop, TV, or anything with a battery inside going dead.
I used to hear a double beep, which turned out to be a neighbors car remote.

My mom has been driving herself uh, well…nuts by trying to locate the random beep at her house. She thinks someone has a listening device planted in her house. Guess that’s from too many nutty stories (actually turns out to be the truth) from me as she has never held the prestigious MI label.

We have a lot of smoke alarms, and sometimes they’ve needed batteries. That is more of a screeching sound. This is kind of a pleasant noise - just a mild beep outside.

I figured this beep came from some kind of electrical device like you mentioned, maybe an alarm on a car or a truck or something like that. It isn’t loud. I’ve gotten so used to it that it makes me wary that it quit.

my new ‘smart meters’ beep…drives me nuts…every 15 seconds, for six seconds, and its not a BEEP its a ‘twwwwEEEEeeeeEEEEEeeeeEEEEEeeeeeeEEEEEEEeeeeeeEEEEEEeeeeeEEEEE’