A second Joker movie? Oy vey

It sounds like you just didnt understand it if thats your takeaway.
There was more to it than “look at the crazy person do crazy things”

I also think thats a very reductive observation in general. You can break everything down into a simple sentence.

I’m a pretty smart cookie and pride myself on having seen a lot of films.

Have you seen “the man who laughs”?

Or “Taxi Driver”?

Seems like maybe you are the one missing out.

I just think the film stole a lot and was a lot of artsy weirdness that was completely hollow.

And you believe the film was about the rich not caring about MI issues?

Rich people have MI issues too.

That doesn’t make any sense.

3 Likes

But we all have different tastes,

So there’s that.

2 Likes

Yeah theres a movie i saw called foxcatcher with steve carell. Supposedly he played a rich person with schizophrenia. John du pont

4 Likes

I saw that one.

Steve Carell did a good job.

3 Likes

I havnt seen those films but I heard people make those claims especially about taxi driver so I’m not disputing them. It doesn’t mean the film “has no plot” “is look at the disturbed person do disturbed things” “nothing ever happened”. I think its a bit much to just make claims and provide zero reasonings even when pushed.

Fair enough if its not for you, but I was just trying to hear why you didn’t like it in more detail and all you’re saying is “it took story elements from things that came before it”. That first story you mentioned is based on a novel over 100 years old. I don’t really care if films borrow narrative elements from classic literature. I think most stories are influenced on things that came before them and that is a natural part of being creative.

I also think, you shouldn’t need to claim “I’m a smart cookie” to demonstrate you are intelligent.

1 Like

Oh boy.

So, you haven’t seen the source material and know nothing about it and are still claiming it’s not a rip off.

Also saying I shouldn’t call myself smart.

We’ve gone from talking about the film to insulting me.

Calm down.

It’s just a bad movie.

If you want to think it’s a good movie,

That’s on you.

And you shouldn’t pick apart a person’s dislike of something just because you like it. That’s pretentious.

And congratulations,

There were enough of you to fund a second film.

So be proud.

You are part of the masses.

Its not asking a lot to ask why someone doesn’t like something. And they dislike it so much they make a hate thread on it. Until I asked why they gave zero reasonings at all.
Im not upset they have a different opinion, I just want to know how they formed it etc.

“I’m right because I’m intelligent” isn’t a winning argument.

1 Like

Then I gave good reason.

Everyone says that it stole material because it did.

It’s not my fault you haven’t seen classic films.

And as I said, I don’t fault your reasons I just dont agree.

Fair.

You don’t have to agree.

It is a lot when you keep trying to prove why it is good and talk over their reasons, saying they aren’t good enough, basically.

She hates it. So do others.

You like it. So do others.

Same with any movie.

2 Likes

They arent good enough to persuade me no.
That said I will watch taxi driver to see why that comparison is made so often.

No one was trying to persude you.

1 Like

But that doesn’t mean that I wouldn’t have been persuaded by Charles’ reasonings…

1. Telling people their reasons for disliking something aren’t valid, is kind of a douche move.
  2. There is no need to reach this level of defensiveness over someone not liking a movie you liked.
  3. She shouldn’t have to justify you why she doesn’t like it. Even if the only reason a person has for disliking it is something strange like “he has green hair, I hate green hair”, it doesn’t change the fact that they disliked the film, and they’re within their rights to do so.
3 Likes

I liked Joker, but it’s too depressing to watch a lot. I haven’t seen it in a few years.

It was like a more depressing Taxi Driver, and I freaking love Taxi Driver. I look at Joker as being an homage to Taxi Driver and the very lonely streets of a busy New York City, but I do agree that it lacked originality.

1 Like

Asking for reasoning on someone hates a film isn’t defensiveness. I don’t care that Charles doesn’t like it, I just wanted to know why.

Generally when people state that they don’t like something they back it up with examples of how it didn’t live up to their expectations, specific issues with the plot, and how it could be bettered.

Saying “I didnt like green hair” wouldn’t be seen as valid criticism. Its irrational to not like a review for that reason. I dont have to take opinions like that seriously at all. It also isn’t persuasive to just state that either without explaining why.