A reminder for us all

12 Likes

It is nuanced. Disability doesn’t have to mean total defeat though. Maybe channel critical energies in something easier, like remote work.

In person stuff is literal hell for SZs.

2 Likes

I would say it’s more like “when my disability stops me, I don’t waste energy guilting myself over it. Instead, I look into what can be done to help me overcome this hurdle.”

But I also recognize that a large number of the options available to overcome hurdles require financial stability and the genetic makeup that responds well to certain treatments. I am lucky to have both, even if it is still very hard work.

3 Likes

Not sure what this is all about. I mean, most mental disorders can be managed, and life improvement can/does occur. I don’t think anyone would expect someone with Cerebral Palsy to climb a ladder and clean out the gutters, but I also don’t want to be looked at as helpless.

3 Likes

It is not a harmful narrative. Would you rather be disabled all your life? Hope, is one of the most powerful forces in the world, as is love. Without hope, those disabled would forever remain disabled, cause they believe no matter what they do, they cannot change their destiny.

2 Likes

thank you for this…makes me feel better.

1 Like

It isn’t about hope. The meme is about people who constantly say if they did something, why can’t everyone.

Not everyone can overcome. And the ones who can’t, even when they try hard, shouldn’t be shamed.

7 Likes

Sounds a lot like surrendering to me. Because if you “never let your illness stop you” then you’re ableist and being harmful. I don’t think anyone is appealing to shaming people, but the post sounds like an unconditional surrender. As in, “I’m sick, I can’t do X, so I shouldn’t feel guilty. Period.” To be honest, this post sounds self-contradictory.

For my adult life, I looked like a person who could work. My siblings caught it from people because it appeared that I was so able to work but didn’t.

3 Likes

Similar to quit an addiction, some can, some can’t quit.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.