A rant about stigma

So I’m just going to get into it. Stigma is ■■■■■■■■ and I am so sick of having to deal with it.

I wish people would actually try to learn about this ■■■■.

I am SO DONE with being labeled ■■■■■■■ dangerous.

Today I literally had a guy try to explain to ME why people with DID/ Schizophrenia are dangerous (note he doesn’t know that I have BOTH of these conditions)

And it was literally just ■■■■■■■■ like it was not concrete actually factual ■■■■

Like this ■■■■■ watched split and psycho or some ■■■■ and now thinks he’s got a ■■■■■■■ phd and knows EVERYTHING

AAAAAAAAA I WANT TO FIGHT SOME OF THESE PEOPLE ITS SO ■■■■■■■ DUMB.

I AM NOT A MURDERER. I AM NOT AN ARSONIST. I AM NOT A KILLER. I DO NOT BELONG IN A MENTAL INSTITUTION. I DONT NEED TO BE STRAPPED TO A TABLE AND SEDATED. I DONT NEED TO GET RID OF MY ALTERS. I HAVE A SENSE OF RIGHT AND WRONG. I AM NOT A TICKING TIME BOMB THATS ABOUT TO SNAP.

THE ■■■■ IS WRONG WITH THESE PEOPLE.

IM SO SICK OF IT

I’M SICK OF BEING TREATED LIKEA MONSTER AND A VILLAIN.

I AM SO TIRED OF BEING TREATED AS LESS THAN

ITS ■■■■■■■■

END. RANT.

2 Likes

I’m sorry you experienced that. Stigma sucks, and that must have been a frustrating experience.
You are not a monster nor a villain. You are a wonderful, sweet person, and you don’t deserve to be treated like crap for having some diagnoses most people don’t understand.

2 Likes

Thank you for the validation.

Just lately I keep getting a lot of ■■■■ and like I don’t know why.

Like a lot of it isn’t even aimed at me but people feel the need to be like “haha are you gonna go on a schizophrenic rampage and stab people”

And i just SEETHE. like they arent talking to me or about me but I ■■■■■■■ hate these “jokes”

Thank you for all the nice things you said (hugs) I’m glad someone thinks I’m not a freak. I really appreciate you

It just always makes me question my self worth when people say ■■■■ like that. You know?

Sorry for ranting more

I understand. I have been lucky enough to avoid most of the stigma, but people sometimes give me strange comments.
“Oh, you hear voices? Well I hear my thoughts, I must be schizophrenic too”
“This quiz is a little schizophrenic”
“Are you dangerous if you don’t take your meds?”

When I tell people, I make sure they know they’re free to ask questions. I just wish the questions people asked would be something like “How does it affect you?” instead.

1 Like

I know for me what I have experienced is mainly in the hospital because I have been somewhat with it at some of my hospitalizations, that either I don’t look like I belong on the ward because somehow I look so normal. And then by docs who just, at least in the last stay kinda were just putting their hand up in the air and saying that you’re on the highest form of meds and your still hearing voices.

Other miscellaneous things are just like the comments. Or certain things like that sog called Psycho by some pop artist. drives me up to the wall because of saying that ll are murderers.

1 Like

Its very Un-PC but use the stigma to your advantage. Its helped me in the past getting rid of low-lifes that think they can take advantage. No one wants to deal with an “baseball bat wielding psychotic Schizophrenic” . It maybe total sterotypical bollox - but its certainly helped to piss off the aggresive types ive encountered. See what i mean?? Especially in Pub culture at least.

1 Like

That guy is a jerk. I completely understand how you feel.

1 Like

I dont want to do that though. I used to do that and I ended up friendless and hating myself.

Plus I dont want to lose this group of friends.

Plus they don’t know I’m Schiz or DID

so I’m sorry but I think thats a bad idea

I dont want to add to stigma and make our community look bad

1 Like

Stigma can happen within the community too. Every time I was in the psych hospital, people assumed I was healthy. This guy once said “you don’t look like you should be in here, but I swear if you start busting windows in I’m running out of here.” At the time I was severely depressed from being psychotic and not being completely sane. I thought Hitler was my uncle and was sending me messages from a secret bunker, and that I needed to try to escape the psych hospital.

Yes some people can be really ignorant about mental illness. I also feel like there’s stigma that mentally ill people need to get it together and are lazy or less competent. I struggle with many negative symptoms, especially low energy, but I sometimes want to work hard at being stable and gain my family and peer’s respect.

I was in my neurologist s office. An older lady was saying that her schizophrenic and bipolar neighbor stole her Persian cat. She said… you know how they are. They’re crazy.

The stigma i find the worst is the one in my family. And then the most hurtful is the one that is felt in all the small things of how they treat me but never said.

3 Likes

Stigma sucks, but at the same time, it makes me angry when the violent mentally ill are shunned, you know? Sometimes, when people get sick, they do violent and/or illegal things, and we all have to accept that. It doesn’t make you a monster, and that’s the bottom line. We’re not monsters. We may sometimes believe we are, but we’re not. Instead of just denying and ignoring the violently psychotic, we need to get people to understand that the psychotic brain can get so twisted and chaotic that the commonly accepted laws of morality and ethics may become all but lost on it. We need to get people to understand that living in psychosis is like living in another world, and that sometimes, a psychotic soul is not responsible for their actions.

I hate the stigma too. Let them worry you don’t have to explain yourself to anyone. My uncle is afraid of me which is bs. I’m not going to hurt anyone. Relax a little.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.