A quote from my music book that seems to make no logical sense

“When a sharp (#) is pplaced in front of a note, the note is raised a half step and played one fret higher.” ok, so far makes sense, but then it goes on…“A sharp placed before a note affects all teh notes on the same line or space that follow in that measure” This makes zero sense to me. This would appear to mean that, if you have an F sharp in a measure, all F’s on that line would have to be sharps. This would seem to indicate then that there is no way to write an F sharp and then a regular F in the same measure without it becoming an F sharp.

Wtf, this seems to make no sense. It seems to make it impossible to play an F sharp and an F in the same measure by standard notation. Seems it would be a bit limiting. WOuld seem to make more sense to write the F# on both F’s rather than creating a shorthand that would seem to limit your ability to write a certain note in that measure.

I have no idea if anyone is going to understand this, but it’s just baffling me.

1 Like

Youd use a natural sign to change it bsck to f natural

3 Likes

I took 6 semesters of music theory lol

5 Likes

Ah…I see. I have not gotten that far yet. Seems like unnecessary work though. Still seems more logical to just put the (#) symbol on both rather than having to work around an obstacle that is self created :confused:.

1 Like

Dont worry lots of music theory is confusing

3 Likes

What do you think of the idea of there being an order of darkest to brightest modes?
People state it as a fact but I have a really hard time accepting that a scale will always sound inherently darker/brighter than another no matter what etc.
It feels like someone saying “all songs in major are happy” even though you can prove its not always true.

2 Likes

this isn’t something that happens often. usually on sheet music, there will be a # sharp on the note that will always be sharped on the fret, whether that’s the treble cleff or the bass cleff. like Moon said, to play a natural note, there would be a natural on the note, but this won’t happen that often often to make it gratuitous

1 Like

are you learning scales yet? or already have? when you learn music, you often start at the C scale, where no notes are assumed to be sharped or flat

1 Like

I think it really depends on what sort of music you are playing/reading.
I imagine it happens a lot in jazz.

1 Like

ah, this is true. but i guess that is why playing jazz music is commonly separated from most other music genres :stuck_out_tongue: you have people that are pianists, and people that are jazz pianists

2 Likes

the thing is that, a sharp in the first F indicates that all the others in the same measure are sharps. That´s because usually the following F notes are sharp, and it would be worse for reading if you needed to put a sharp everytime an F appears. The score would be filled by the sharp signs!

If a note is sharp, it´s more usual that the following same notes are sharp aswell, so it´s easier to read!

1 Like

I would say that “bright” means more open intervals (from the tonic) and “dark” more closed. I don´t know, I like the analogy.

2 Likes

Okay thanks for your insight. Thats an interesting way of looking at it.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.