A Poem: Forgive

Should you forgive someone
Who’s not sorry
Or is that just
Being a danger to yourself?

4 Likes

I feel this deep in my soul. My therapist talks about forgiveness. I don’t know how to forgive someone who does not regret their actions.

3 Likes

I think people should forgive others even when they’re not sorry.

1 Like

A few people have hurt me in my life, and I don’t care if they feel sorry or not for doing so. It’s history, they can’t hurt me anymore. I forgive myself, for they hurt me through no fault of my own.

And I don’t see how I can be happy if I’m angry at someone. Living well is the best revenge.

2 Likes

https://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/adult-health/in-depth/forgiveness/art-20047692

"What are the benefits of forgiving someone?

Letting go of grudges and bitterness can make way for improved health and peace of mind. Forgiveness can lead to:

• Healthier relationships
  • Improved mental health
  • Less anxiety, stress and hostility
  • Lower blood pressure
  • Fewer symptoms of depression
  • A stronger immune system
  • Improved heart health
  • Improved self-esteem"
2 Likes

I think most of us have been hurt by people who are not sorry. I’ve been bullied a lot, I still struggle with forgiveness, it’s so hard. But when I think how far I came in my life, I feel better.

1 Like

I feel the same way. I would love to since it would make me feel better but I just don’t know how. that is the thing. how can I think ok yea it is fine, when it is not.

I do accept though that people are different, stuff like that and we all have our imperfections so that makes me feel a bit more at ease

2 Likes

For me, I have had to cut the person out of my life entirely, because he still actively tries to harm me. To me, forgiving someone is wiping the slate and not holding their previous actions against them. If I did that to him, I would be putting myself and my child in harm’s way. Because he would absolutely harm both of us if he was given the opportunity.

3 Likes

Yea I know of someone who kept saying sorry to me and then repeating the same harmful behaviour to me over and over again. Frankly, they are a danger to me so I cut them off completely.

But from a distance so that I feel a bit more warm and fuzzy inside, I tell myself that they are like that due to many factors. That I don’t even understand. It doesn’t mean it is OK to be like that, but it provides understanding somewhat which makes me feel no bitterness as a result. Just defense mode due to them being a danger to me

1 Like

Yeah, same. I can say I understand why he acts this way, and I don’t hold anger against him. But I won’t forgive him for it because I feel like remembering the pain he caused is a good protection.

1 Like

That’s a really good way to put it, yeah

1 Like

The person, and your anger towards him or her (because it eats you up on the inside) who did it is the danger. If you are able to stay away from that person and learn to forgive you’ll be alright.

3 Likes

How to write poems as good as yours, it’s your talent! :star2:

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 95 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.