A new variant

■■■■, here we go again.
A new Covid variant has emerged.
Originating in South Africa.

I don’t think that the current vaccines will do much to protect us from this monster.

2 Likes

Hopefully it won’t take long to adjust the vaccines if a new variant becomes resistant. But I wonder how long this will go on. Maybe we’ll end up with a bunch of new flu-like diseases.

2 Likes

Forever, basically. Welcome to the new normal.

6 Likes

Yeah I fear that this will never end.
It’s our new normal.

1 Like

It will just become endemic in the end and we will go on with life as usual. This is how new viruses work. And now we even have vaccines.

3 Likes

I read that this new variant came to Belgium. I am really paranoid that this will never end.

1 Like

I don’t think that it will end either.
At least not short term.

I have a fear that it will cause the end of our civilization

I have not followed the virus situation in Latin America. The situation may be difficult there.

2 Likes

Yeah, i fear this will be the new normal for a very long time… :frowning:

1 Like

I think a resolution will come, but it’s still early days when it comes to research.

Actually it usually takes about 10 years before a vaccine becomes approved, the one they got now is kind of like a emergency first draft they came up with. I am sure that in time the scientist will be able to make much better vaccines.

This new variant may not be anything particular, except that it spreads more easy than the delta variant. Hope for the best, right?

2 Likes

Hope you’re right @Mr_Hope

1 Like

What are they saying about the new variant? Is it a death sentence?

1 Like

They have to study it some more but so far it doesn’t look good.
They say that it more transmissible then the Delta variant.

1 Like

It’s actually not. They’ve been working on coronavirus vaccines (though different virus than Covid) for years. That is why they were able to get them out so fast.

1 Like

mRNA vaccines have been under development for use with the flu and also HIV (among other things) for years. It’s a flexible vaccine delivery system that can be customized for different virii. Think of it as a missile that you can swap out the warheads on depending on what the target is. Most of the development was already done when COVID appeared, they just changed out the viral targeting payload. They can update for the new variants with relative ease. They haven’t had to yet because the current vaccines work with the current variants.

4 Likes

I hate to say it bit there will prob be variants for a long time. It’s a virus.

4 Likes

Yeah actually I saw an article about my area suggesting to move to a more endemic approach. I don’t know what that means exactly but I’m assuming slightly laxer rules?

3 Likes
2 Likes

As far as I’m aware, they should be able to tweak the vaccines to fight the new variants. I am not worried.

I heard on – somewhere, forgive my lack of good citation – last week, where they said this will be an endemic for the vaccinated, and a pandemic of the unvaccinated.

3 Likes

This is getting scarier. If the virus became more deadly and more communicable it could really hurt the world economy.

1 Like