A negative post - my apologies

Thanks. I’m majoring in Art History. I started out as a Studio Art major with a concentration in Ceramics. I wanted to go to grad school. I might still go, but I want to do ceramics. It would be hard to do, because I have to have a portfolio. Anyway, I’ll be happy to just have a Bachelor’s degree.

I’m going back to my old school, probably in the Spring.

It takes a lot more work than it used to.

Getting a bachelors degree is a big accomplishment, Art History is an interesting major I am trying to get back to my drawings/art slowly

I took me a few years but I have mine in Heath Administration, I also have an associates degree in Computer Applications and Programming not that either has helped me get a job…I don’t know if I could work a steady job right now or not. I have my good days, but the bad days seem to be out numbering the good. The Bachelors in Heath is still fairly current, but the Associates is like over 10 years old, and I’m sure most of what I learned back then is out dated since we were learning the fairly new software of Windows 98 and XP. took some classes back then on Windows MT (or was it NT, I can’t remember) and AOL was the biggest e-mail provider…ah memories.

1 Like

Keep it up. It’s great being an artist. You can give your works as gifts. Of course that’s not the only reason, but I like to save money. It’s also nice if you give people something that they can reflect on, a physical embodiment of your love.

I was just given a painting that I gave to my great aunt when she was alive. It’s the only thing I have left from her. We had to sell all of her stuff to pay her nursing home bills.

1 Like

@sohare1981 having a degree in Health Administration sounds interesting - so you have 2 degrees - good for you!
@metime I may just get back into painting and create a painting for our house - place it in the family room, Art is a good way to express myself, in a healthy way

1 Like

I guess I’ve always been better at education than actually having a job. My biggest thing is not being able to do the work but handle the stress that comes along with dealing with people. I got my BS in Health Administration On-line through the University of Phoenix so I was able to do it on my own time, and only took one class a time which is why it took me so long.

The other thing is I’m really bad in interviews, I get tensed and nervous and it really shows. Then people look at the lack of work history on my applications and I think it gets thrown out even before I make it through to the interview. The only time I’ve been able to get interviews is when went to an employment agency but the one I went to before is closed now and I don’t know where there is one around me.

I’m sure there’s vocational rehabilitation in your area that can help you with the interview part. It helps me to think of it as a chance to tell my story and be creative. It’s good to mention something that sets you apart from the crowd. I use my time working on my grandfather’s blueberry and muscadine farm. You can say: I am self motivated, because I did my learning on my own at an online school. Start with your story to get them hooked in.

Be creative with your responses to their questions. You do this by looking up the kinds of questions they’ll be asking.

I’m going to school the old fashioned way. I still have a hard time with my nerves.

But what do I say when they ask do you have any medical problems that may hinder your ability to do your job? I don’t want to out right admit that I have schizophrenia, but I want them to be prepared if my mind snaps again and I have to take time off…

Cashiers in my country normally do not greet at customers, so I felt shocked the first time I went for shopping in Australia for being panicked when was asked that question.
Everyone has a past, and nobody is perfect. I used to be like you, talking mostly about myself and my accomplishments. But what I want to say is, you can overcome this. One day you will find how good it is to live for others, especially those you care the most.
This is not a negative post at all. I love your honesty.

1 Like

If they ask it… hmm. Don’t volunteer the information. Just be honest and try to know someone who is already in the company. I know schizophrenia has its own unique problems, but I know of someone who works and is on disability.
Maybe say: I am on disability, but the medicine I take/therapy I’m in allows me to function like normal. Explain your particular situation and be prepared to inform them about the realities of our illness.