A Look Inside the Textbooks That Florida Rejected

1 Like

I have to create an account to read that,
and Iā€™m not going to.

Iā€™m very interested though, since this has been
all over the news the last couple of days.

could you give me the gist, though.

Until recently, the idea of building social-emotional skills was a fairly uncontroversial one in American education. Research suggests that students with these skills earn higher test scores.

But right-wing activists like Chris Rufo, senior fellow at the Manhattan Institute, have sought to tie social-emotional learning to the broader debate over the teaching of race, gender and sexuality in classrooms.

In a March interview conducted over email, Mr. Rufo stated that while social-emotional learning sounds ā€œpositive and uncontroversialā€ in theory, ā€œin practice, SEL serves as a delivery mechanism for radical pedagogies such as critical race theory and gender deconstructionism.ā€

ā€œThe intention of SEL,ā€ he continued, ā€œis to soften children at an emotional level, reinterpret their normative behavior as an expression of ā€˜repression,ā€™ ā€˜whiteness,ā€™ or ā€˜internalized racism,ā€™ and then rewire their behavior according to the dictates of left-wing ideology.ā€

Mr. Rufo also raised concerns that social-emotional learning requires teachers ā€œto serve as psychologists, which they are not equipped to do.ā€

Gov. Ron DeSantis of Florida has spoken more generally about social-emotional learning as a distraction, in his view, from math itself.

ā€œMath is about getting the right answer,ā€ he said at a Monday news conference, adding, ā€œItā€™s not about how you feel about the problem.ā€

1 Like

well its not race theory and those look like pretty good text books. they look to be teaching math in a totally new way than they dud when i was in school. like social problem solving. i actually would have enjoyed math class with these text books.

2 Likes

Only in floridaā€¦.

Guess we really donā€™t care about free speech and censorship.

These ideas and legislation are spreading all over multiple states.

Creating civilian vigilantes suing anybody they want that doesnā€™t have the same views as them. Both the anti-abortion and Donā€™t say gay bills are gonna spread across the country,

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.