A List of Posters On-Line at The Moment

My political site has this.

Is it possible to add a box off to the side of the main page to see who is on line in the current moment?

As a Moderator, could you do this?

1 Like

I don’t like that. no no nooooo…

4 Likes

Okay.

Didn’t think it would ruffle feathers. My other site lets you know when someone is on the forum…just thought it might be a convenient addition to this place.

2 Likes

You don’t want to see how often I’m on here. I’m always lurking. Always watching you, whoever is reading this. Nobody else, just you in particular. I might even be behind you right now… made you look. Why do you want to see who is online? Can the mods see who is online?

3 Likes

A mod would not be able to add that feature. We would have to ask the boss man, but I’m not going to ping him unless it seems more people want the feature than don’t. I can see both sides. It’s nice to know who is online if you want to PM a friend, but also can lead to hurt feelings if that friend doesn’t respond in a timely manner. I usually hide my status on sites where you can see who is actively online, because I don’t want to be accused of ignoring someone when I don’t have the energy to respond.

3 Likes

I don’t think I would like a “who is online” feature. I think it would make me paranoid, like people are watching for when I’m online, kinda stalking me?? Maybe that’s irrational, but I think that feature would freak me out.

3 Likes

Yeah, I wouldn’t be a fan of this. Sometimes I just like to lurk and not contribute anything, other times I do post and contribute. I feel like if people saw I was online but not posting, they may think it’s weird or something. idk.

2 Likes

I don’t think it’s a great idea either. I don’t like the thought of people getting arsey if i dont reply or respond within a certain time frame.

2 Likes

I do think the Say Anything thread sort of functions as an opt in version of this, anyways. People tend to post there when they’re online, and people who are looking for a friend can usually find one there.

4 Likes

I would be against this. :dragon_face::dragon_face::dragon_face:

2 Likes

It might be a good idea on some sites, but with people’s paranoia, it might be detrimental here on this one.

4 Likes

I am totally against the idea. I like the anonymity of the forum.

1 Like

It could be an option in the preferences perhaps if it’s possible? A box you can tick (“show when I’m online”). I would like that.

1 Like

If the default setting is “off”, I think that’s a great idea. It gives people the conscious choice

1 Like