A "high-class" schizophrenia?

You have a job. Doesn’t having a job pre-qualify a person as being high functioning?

1 Like

This does warrant further thought and has sparked my internal discussion with myself over my desperate need to start working on my anxiety more significantly. Didn’t know all that happened, did you? Thanks :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Sometimes I’d wonder how things would be if I hadn’t been trainwrecked by MI at a young age. Before the worst of it I was a straight A student, honor roll, won a number of awards, top of my class, etc. Everyone thought I was going places. Now I generally can barely pass courses and sometimes don’t at all. I feel my ability to focus being shot combined with the constant exhaustion really just screwed me over.

1 Like

I was trained in my field of study entirely post-sza diagnosis! I acquired all my job skills post-sza diagnosis, too. I graduated with my BA and MA mainly post-sza (some work had been done at the community college level during/in between psychotic episodes, but I wasn’t the best student back then).

Before that, I was a bit off, even when I wasn’t actively psychotic. After I found the right med, things became easier to understand, learn, absorb, and do. My head was clear for the first time in a long time.

2 Likes

I just woke up in the same nightmare I’ve had since I dropped out of the working world 19 years ago~ returning to that work, but finding I stink at it.
It’s humbling, humiliating, and puts me in a sour mood for the rest of the day.

Nothing worse than saying “I used to be good at that.” and knowing you just can’t do it anymore.

I used to be very motivated and high energy. Now I am a slug. I barely have the energy and motivation to go to school, let alone make a bunch of money in a high pressure sales gig or go to the gym. I don’t take care of myself at all like I used to either. I have lost joy in things I used to enjoy. I think it is a combo of low energy and mild depression. I am thought of as high functioning but, compared to how I used to be, I am low to medium functioning. My new goals are in line with my lower functioning.

I discovered my skill for creating after I was already showing symptoms.

1 Like

I couldn’t finish a degree in school. I have always worked low-demand jobs. I wouldn’t put myself in the same category as those who attain a higher education and a demanding career.
I’m grateful for my level of functioning, but I certainly hope that my son accomplishes more than I. I want my son to be high-functioning and more economically stable than I am.

2 Likes

Who’s that jomahomiegottorypethisnotenoughcharacter

1 Like

I guess I qualify as being a “high class” schizophrenic. I used to have a lot of R.N. skills. Some very high tech skills and knowledge particular to my field. I worked in telemetry and pulmonary nursing mostly. I acquired all of this knowledge and skills while being sick. I worked in nursing for ten years. My pdoc says that I accomplished the “impossible”.

3 Likes

I was reading that early onset schizo have a poor prognosis, how are you doing? I hope :+1:

1 Like

Is she actually sz?

Also I got my masters degree two years after I first started experiencing symptoms.

1 Like

No such thing sry

better and worse… I was only dxd a yearish ago… and had worked and drove until the last super saiyan sz moment… but I was self medicating until I realized I could no longer handle it safely without help… so I have insight mostly… recently gained ptsd… past events plus most recent incident on meds… that has given me full on d.i.d…

1 Like

I don’t know the meaning of d.i.d, but… Even so, I am really sure that you will get better in few time when you PDOC adjust medication, and Ptsd pass… Or too doing some psychoteraphy for that. Good Luk!! @flameoftherhine

1 Like

I’m considered a high function SZ. Kinda sucks though because people expect so much of me but I can only accomplish s little. So the label of “high functioning” often is a curse.

Like @MeghillaGorilla1 telling me to get off the forum because I look normal :unamused: lol I kid I kid

Yeah, I take my medication with Perrier and caviar.

3 Likes

Thats my main problem @Zoom. I find it near impossible to relax. I constantly have to be moving and doing something, doc says its my ocd that drives these crazy compulsions to have 100 things on my list to do. I over do it for awhile until i break down then cant get my ass out of bed for a few days, not really sleeping, just completely apathetic and no motivation, the worst is coming down from being manic. Ive been rapid cycling thru mania all winter, mostly due to stress my wife and doc think but its been hard to deal with and ita been since oct of last year that ita been going on, right when my wife got sick. Good thing is minimal depression but hallucinations are manageable but the delusions i struggle with daily it seems.

Im on a crazy cocktail of a handful of meds twice a day and was just added lithium last months pdoc visit to try and help the mania. I imagine the dose will increase on mondays pdoc appointment.

Wish me luck!! Lol

2 Likes

2 Likes