A foreign language thread

@firemonkey and I were talking about Latin in a post and I was wondering if you guys know any foreign languages.

Does anyone speak a foreign language here?

I speak Danish, Norwegian, and conversational Swedish.
And English, of course.

To be fair, the Scandianvian languages are kinda similar, especially Norwegian and Danish.

2 Likes

A weird thing about Danish and Norwegian is that the same sentence can have different meanings depending on the language.
“Bob er så rar, han griner hele dagen”, in Danish, means “Bob is so nice, he laughs all day” while in Norwegian, it means “Bob is so weird, he cries all day”.

“Kan du sætte dig ned?”, the Danish sentence, means “Will you sit down” in a commanding way, while “Kan du sette deg ned?” in Norwegian, is a polite way of asking someone to sit down.
I made a lot of mistakes with that when I first moved to Denmark because I thought I was being polite and people thought I was being rude.

And then there’s the Norwegian “Kul” which means “cool”, but in Swedish, it means “fun”

2 Likes

We were studying Latin and ancient Greek in school. I speak Greek, English, French (i have forgotten it, since I haven’t used it for years)

1 Like

In a degree I have in French, in the speaking test I had 24.5 out of 25. But now I am not that eloquent

1 Like

My mother tongue is English. I know Spanish (my voices speak to me in Spanish too). Right now I’m trying to learn Arabic and dabbling with learning French. In the past I’ve studied German and Portuguese.

1 Like

My mother tongue is Romanian and I speak Danish, English and Spanish. :full_moon_with_face: Is true that Norvegian is close do Danish but I need to study more those differences in order to speak it.

1 Like

Me encantan los idiomas!!!
I love languages!!!

Hay un App se llama 50languages. Es bueno (50languages.com)

There’s an App called 50languages. It’s good. (50languages.com)

1 Like

I also speak French, but it’s not a foreign language, it’s the other offciial language of my country.

1 Like

English is my second language and I used to be a fluent English speaker. But now as I age, I’m losing my English skills. Surprisingly my Chinese language skills are still strong.

1 Like

My daily used fluent languages (read/write) are arabic, french and english. I know other languages like spanish etc but not fluent in them or use them everyday, I understand them in music etc I studied German, Spanish and Syriac.

1 Like

My home languages are Arabic and French, I studied university in English. The two official languages here in Quebec are French and English.

1 Like

I can read and understand some French. I can’t speak it though. I can’t pronounce it to save my life.

1 Like

Yea the R in french is pronounced as غ in Arabic.
If you’re able to pronounce it in one language it will be easy in the other language.

Also what’s hard in French is that some letters when at the end of a word are not pronounced.
There is accents (in French), like é, è, ê, ë, ç, î, ï, ô, ü, à, ù, â, û. Not all are common though.

1 Like

Yes, i sort of speak and write english :grin: (im danish)

2 Likes

I learned German as a small child from my parents who immigrated to the U.S. from Germany. I can speak and understand German, and can read German fairly well, but cannot write in German very well at all.

3 Likes

My great grandmother used to speak Finnish to me all the time though it didn’t take. My grandpa didn’t learn English until he was 8 or so. Dad will say a phrase in Finnish as a joke but I won’t try to spell it.

:grinning:

1 Like

I try to speak English here but it’s very hard to have long discussions…
It makes me a little frustrated, but I already talked about this on the forum.
Especially when I want to talk about important things.

My mother tongue is French.

1 Like

I’m a swede. Studied spanish and german in school but I dont remember much.

2 Likes