A Breakthrough That Could Help Silence The 'Voices' Of Schizophrenia

Dude I’m ready to drive down there and give them my brain. I can’t take these antipsychotics anymore.
If some drug company were smart. They would begin clinical trials on a drug that could fix this problem now and be the first ones out in the market.

1 Like

I used to live in Seattle before moving to Texas. Bill And Milenda Gates live in Seattle; they have put money into inovative educational projects in High School’s in that state focusing on how to help at risk kids go to college. The reason I mention this is because I had the same thought. I know they have a heart for kids-but to my knowledge they have not done anything for mental health in the way of funding research.

2 Likes

@anon11056724,@far_cry0 Has anybody followed upon this? sounds promising not sure what happened?

1 Like

The original article is about the discovery that a depleted microRNA was associated with voices in 22q11.2 individuals with schizophrenia. I don’t know of any publication of new papers specific to this, but the new company Feng Zhang has started is founded on making drugs that act on proteins and enzymes. They are using AI tools to identify possible medicines. This new CRISPR tool they are taking about specifically modifies RNA.

https://www.bizjournals.com/boston/news/2018/03/15/biotech-startup-co-founded-by-mit-s-feng-zhang.html

“Arbor announced that its genetic search engine had uncovered a new type of enzyme, called Cas13d. But rather than cutting DNA, Cas13d alters RNA — the all-important molecules that translate instructions in DNA into proteins in the body.”

3 Likes

Thank you for updateTwinklestars. remember just one enzyme in Alzheimers melted away plaque in mice. If we find something like that or something for each of the symptoms would be great.

3 Likes

I read the whole article. It sounds very promising. But, it’s decades away from the pharmacy counter.

2 Likes

how do you say its decades away? could you please explain?

Someone in the article is quoted as saying so.

Probably because no drug candidate has yet been identified, and then once it is, it will have to go through preclinical and then human testing.

It’s a pessimistic estimate. But it is going to take time.

3 Likes

I could not find any mention like that. Hope it comes sooner.

1 Like

It was in the Forbes article: “Michael Birnbaum, MD, Director of the Early Treatment Program at Zucker Hillside Hospital, Glen Oaks, New York, explained that the findings from this study are still preliminary in nature. “It is unlikely that these findings will impact treatment options in the near future,” he said, offering that “new drug development often takes decades. Much more research is required to move these data into clinical settings and impact our available medications.””

Here’s some info on how long it usually takes to go from preclinical studies to market - the average is 12-13 years, but it can be shorter or longer. I haven’t seen a publication that a potential drug has been identified yet, (although we wouldn’t necessarily know) so it’s not out of line to predict decades. It is possible for drugs to move through trials faster, but there’s nothing with this target in a published trial yet.

2 Likes

I do not like pill popping business any ways.FDA does not approve procedures (surgeries etc). so if we find a cure through procedure: Gene therapy plus / or Stem cell therapy that would be possibly faster. What are your thoughts @twinklestars?

1 Like

In the US, the FDA still approves cell and gene therapies.

I’m not sure what the average time would be, since those are so new, “average” might not mean anything.

2 Likes

how do they know when a mouse is hearing voices?

1 Like

They don’t. they look at other symptoms such as social isolation etc and try to reverse it.