A 2nd language

I was born American but I lived in my moms native Philippines for a couple years. I been watching a lot of filipino movies with the english captions. I have some complaints. When I speak to other english speakers here in America, it is like sometimes it is unattractive. I can also act like I don’t know english and just speak in tagalog and use a pinoy english accent. Well even though some people don’t know what I am saying they understand what I am feeling when the tone comes out. Learning a second language and to think in it is bizarre. But being yourself is whats important. There have been hispanics walk up to me and start speaking spanish, maybe because the look I have can be confused with spaniard. If I talk in sincere tagalog to people here in America. The one guy was like I don’t speak spanish man. So I kept talking to him tagalog with mixed in key english words. It is just so different the response I get from people if I use my 2nd language. I guess english to me is boring unless I can talk with a person who uses english with good vocabulary and pronunciation. I am not even great at vocabulary. But each language is different as in the expression and how each language says what it means. For instance. I love you. In tagalog is Mahal Kita. But the difference is Mahal, is another word for expensive in the philippines. and kita, literally means I and you, or you and I. Combined. Rules change. But caveman is our first language. And any human on this planet can understand it. Universal be creative.

2 Likes

Yep, Mahal Kita is equivalent to Aku Cinta Pada Mu. Seems like the Malay borrows word from Tagalog: Mahal (expensive) and Kita(us) are both same meaning in Malay!
Your command of English is very good, I will learn from you one day!

Here in South Africa there are 11 official languages but most people communicate in English. English is my second language.

From the learning sequence, English…is my third language…!

Learning a 2nd, and even 3rd language should be mandatory in schools starting in the 1st grade.
Old joke:
What do you call someone who speaks 3 languages?
Trilingual.

What do you call someone who speaks 2 languages?
Bilingual.

What do you call someone who speaks 1 language?
American.

1 Like

As I may have stated elsewhere, English is not my first language, Italian is. If you don’t use it, you lose it, I’ve found. I’ve met a friend of a friend who was born in Italy, and her and I can carry out a conversation. I speak some Spanish too, and the two are sometimes so closely related, I can mix them up. Sometimes my head is abuzz, but I dream in Italian mostly. Abuzz with 3 languages I mean.

I studied a little Spanish in grade school but all I can really remember is “yo tengo nueve año”, “I am nine years old”. Kind of silly for a 44 year old man to say.

Since then, I’ve improved my Spanish. My favorite movie is “The Searchers” with John Wayne. It taught me the phrase, “más fréjoles por favor mamasita”. It means “more beans please mother”.

I’d love to learn Russian. I tried a bit with that Rosetta Stone software a while back. It’s a wonderful language.

How did you like Rosetta Stone? It’s expensive, but I’d take the plunge if it’s worthwhile. I too want to learn Russian. Does RS teach you the alphabet as well?

I didn’t see anything about the alphabet but it’s very good software. I really enjoyed using it. It takes a much more conversational approach.

If money was no object, would you buy the Rosetta Stone Russian package? What caused you to stop using it?

Oh yeah, I really liked it. I stopped cause the copy I had was, eh, not quite legit. I reformatted one day and felt a little guilty and just didn’t reinstall it.

1 Like

I’ve played with it once before, so I know what you mean about the conversational approach. What I’m mostly concerned about is the ability to learn the 33-letter Cyrillic alphabet. Italian is just 21 letters - no j, k, w, x, or y. I’d really like to learn Russian.

1 Like

May be due to regional influences, I wish to improve my Japanese language skill, and the next thing is to learn Korean. I wish to master good commands of both American English and Australian English, though.

There are words in Tagalog that sound like Spanish words bc Spain occupied the Philippines at one time. That’s why you see a lot of Filipinos with Spanish last names.

RS is excellent. Another good one is Pimsleur.

@Loke, this thread hasn’t been touched in 2 years. Try not to bump old threads like this.

1 Like