6 months in hospital, I've lost almost everything in the meantime

I’ll be discharged soon into a world I barely recognise: my wife has left me, I desperately need to find a place where to live, which in Denmark is no joke, and severe cognitive and negative symptoms barring me from working or studying. They assure me I won’t become homeless, but the future is looking bleak. Alternatively, I could embrace a semi-bohemian lifestyle which would suit well my (currently former) literary activities and prove compatible with that of my locally closest friends. But mostly the propects remain daunting.

3 Likes

Do u feel u have improved though ?

Less psychotic, I guess, but that’s about it. I’m not ready for ordinary life.

I wish u all the luck dude !!

1 Like

Best of luck from me too.

1 Like

It must be scary for sure but you’ll find your footing, I wish you well,

1 Like

Oh man, good luck @NotSeksoEmpirico.

1 Like

Wishing you the best, I’m sorry I can’t offer more.

1 Like

thanks!..

im sure things will work out :frowning: im sorry to hear youre facing such challenges.

1 Like

I have no idea what the disability situation or process is like there, but I hope you can get assistance as needed until you get back on your feet. Best of luck and I hope things start to look up for you soon.

1 Like

I’m so sorry. Life sounds rough for you. Whenever I am the hospital and get out, I feel disoriented when I go home… It must be even harder if you’ve been gone for six months. Take care of yourself for sure.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

An unnecessary update: nothing has changed, although whether there is such a thing as change remains a moot point.

I’m sorry to hear. I was five days at the hospital (Digevej) i’m a dane too and living the semi bohemian literary lifestyle all ready. I lost two friends during the stay and close relations to my dear siblings, but now i’m slowly trying to get back to where i started.

After 6 months you need a lot of strength to avoid institutionalization. I have heard there are a well equipped fitness room at one of the clubhouses (væresteder) in Copenhagen. I usually don’t like places like that, but i think i go there once just to see if it’s wort the effort. Exercising can be a way to start adjusting to normal life.

Hope you get better and feel free to send me a pm.

1 Like

Thank you so much for your kind message. I’m not Danish myself, but I’ve lived in DK for last 8 years. I have no complaint regarding the follow-up treatment, but my negative and cognitive symptoms remain significant. And my ‘social’ situation remains messy - I’m still waiting to be accepted at a suitable shelter. I have no idea how to spend the rest of my life.

1 Like

What cognitive symptoms do you struggle with most? Have you been offered help to improve them?

Memory and concentration. Word recall is also an issue. Being late-onset I’m not used to these at all. No real help has been offered as Time is deemed the great healer. The docs are banking on the stats -in theory, I should be able to bounce back.