5-HT1B receptor

What does this receptor do? Geodon is a partial agonist and Abilify is an antagonist at that receptor so they’re opposite. I wonder what does that mean. I think my last pdoc was pissed off at me because I ask too many questions.

My risperidone is antagonist at that receptor too.

I doubt anyone here is that advanced in their knowledge. All you are likely going to get is internet searches. Here is the best I could find quickly:

"Due to the range of neurotransmitters controlled by 5-HT1B, it is associated with a range of neurological functions, including mood, memory, aggression, stress sensibility, and anxiety1. The receptor is also present in the “extended amygdala” of the brain1, a reward circuit associated with drug reinforcement. It is, therefore, unsurprising that variations in the 5-HT1B gene have been associated with addiction and obsessive-compulsive disorder in humans3. "

1 Like

Thanks, I read wikipedia but it wasn’t as precise as your article. I bookmarked your article. @Bowens

1 Like

I find it complicated and interesting that serotonin receptors can increase or lower dopamine in specific brain regions. I thought at first that neurotransmitters and receptors are independant.

1 Like

Yeah, It’s a confusing topic. It’s quite complicated.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.