400% Increase in hate crimes here

Reading the article, there were 42 hate crimes in Arkansas in 2021 compared to 9 in 2019. 42 for the entire state probably isn’t bad compared to larger states though. Still 42 is 42 too many. What are hate crimes like where you live?

1 Like

I was looking at a map of the USA on where hate groups being monitored are located. There are nine hate groups in Arkansas being monitored.

I’ve been considering moving, one of the reasons being hate crimes, but maybe what we have here isn’t as bad as elsewhere.

1 Like

I intentionally don’t watch the news because of stuff like this. Don’t think I want to know.

1 Like

According to the New York State government there were 488 hate crimes in New York with a population of 19.84 million while Arkansas has a population of 3.03 million. Hate crimes per million in Arkansas is 13.9 while New York it’s 24.6.

2 Likes

According to the Southern Poverty Law Center, there are two hate groups in Utah. Population of Utah is 3.338 million. Utah population is close to Arkansas’

1 Like

Unfortunately as a person of colour, this is a daily reality for me. I guess that’s why I’m afraid of going to the US because I don’t know when I would be targeted.

3 Likes

Who were the hate crimes directed at? Was it racial or sexual orientation targeted. Or something else? Perhaps political?

Just curious

2 Likes

Recently, Asians were the most targeted due to COVID-19. Then, other people of colour are targeted as well.

2 Likes

According to the police department:

A hate crime is any crime that is committed against a person or property that is motivated, in whole or in part, by an offender’s bias against a race, religion, disability, sexual orientation, ethnicity, gender, or gender identity.

1 Like

@whirling-leaves ah, I never thought of that. It seems such a painful level of ignorance, to attack others simply based on race. Any reason to hate, and any reason to attack. Very sad

In 2020 there were 13 hate crimes based on race/ethnicity/ancestry, 2 based on religion, and 4 on sexual orientation.

Here’s the numbers for Texas where my friend wants to move:

Arkansas population is 3.026 million while
Texas population is 29.53 million.

Per million people it works out to 13.9 for Arkansas and 15.8 for Texas.

In France my country they are few crimes because they are few people with a gun. It’s very hard in France to have a gun. And it’s not in the tradition of french citizens to have a gun

2 Likes

Where I live it is “Gun USA”. People here won’t budge on their right to own firearms. They would go crazy if anyone tried to take their weapons.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.