27 years clean and sober January 1st, 2017

Thanks for asking, my leg is fine now and I’ve been back to work for two weeks now.

3 Likes

Oh I’m glad to hear it!

2 Likes

Well, I know pride is a dangerous thing, but I’m proud of you, @77nick77.

2 Likes

Thanks chordy!..

3 Likes

Hi. My name is mel & ive been 1 year sober clean from alcohol & all drugs. Its amazing how long uve been sober for. Do u go to aa?

2 Likes

I went for the first time in four years last week. I actually got clean in AA. and then branched out to NA and CA. For the first five years of my recovery I went to 5 or 6 meetings a week. I even stood up and gave a 15 minute talk about my recovery in front of a hundred fellow addicts at a CA meeting once and it went well. But yeah, I’ve been to over a thousand AA, CA, and NA meetings.

Incidentally, for the first five years I mentioned, I did not have a car so that meant walking or catching the bus to downtown and other places to attend meetings. I’m pretty amazed about it too. The meeting last week went well. It was good to be in a familiar setting among fellow addicts and alcoholics. It was like coming home again. Good luck in your recovery.

2 Likes

Cool, where are you from, i find that without drinking i have no friends anymore. Still i have faith that they will come when the time is right.

Congratulations, man. Glad you have made it 27 years. I’ve only been sober for a year, cold turkey. It’s definitely not impossible. But worth it.

2 Likes

Excellent. It’s a challenge to break any addictive habit and you deserve credit for it.

2 Likes

Very nice, congrats!

2 Likes

Congratulations! :smiley:

I’ve been drug-free for two and a half years now. It was a struggle at first, but once I got past the worst withdrawal and managed to see that life could be livable without drugs, things started looking up.

2 Likes

1024117794_3w0t

2 Likes

just realized how old the post was and we’re coming up on 28 years soon. Couldn’t find one for 28 years so got you this a little early - hope you make it til January cus this is perfect for you

2 Likes

Well, I’ll cop to the sweet & sober but my chance at sexy passed long ago. Thanks though.

1 Like

That is fantastic Nick. I’ve been in recovery previously, relapsed for 4 years and have come back. I attend NA and AA. I am on day 56. I pick up my 60 day key ring in 4 days time! I used to have several years but I lost them on the relapse. Life certainly is a lot better when clean and sober.

1 Like

Yeah, when I got clean then came living on my own, going back to college, the cars, and taking the bus everywhere (before i got the cars) , making a good friend and many acquaintances. My life blossomed. Good for you for making it back to AA and NA.

I used to hear people say in meetings, “Before I got clean, I was part of problem, but once I got clean I became part of the solution.”.

Good luck in your recovery The downfall of many alcoholics and addicts is hanging around people who use, or drink and hanging around places where drugs are used. Being around people who use, chips away at your resolve, your will power and your recovery. Best to stay away.

But on a lighter note, meetings can be fun, right. lol?

Wow! That is so inspiring! Good for you!!! I have struggles with prescription meds and cannot manage my own; my husband has to do it for me. I know it’s not the same as street drugs or alcohol, but maybe one day I can be like you. Thank you for the good news. It gives me hope. :smiley:

1 Like

I love my NA meetings. They are fun, there often a lot of laughter too. I even have a fellow schizophrenia buddy in my home group.

I don’t hang out where I used to and I cut all ties with my former using friends. I moved city to do this and got myself a proper support network for both my addiction issues and my mental health ones.

The last time I got clean (2007-2012) my life improved VASTLY. I already again is now…

2 Likes