Schizophrenia.com

2.5mg Olanzapine

Its a benzo, Klonopin, used for anxiety but also for sleep I think.

2 Likes

It’s a benzodiazapene. It’s used for sleep, seizures, anxiety, a variety of things really. i use it for sleep.

1 Like

clonazepam is klonopin?

interestin…

1 Like

My sleep problems occurred once I lowered my dose and quit olanzapine, While I was on it I slept a lot.

If you search “olanzapine withdrawal insomnia” on Google there are thousands of people on all kinds of websites and forums that have the same problem. They can’t sleep anymore after quitting olanzapine. I don’t know why that happens but it happens to a lot of people.It’s absolutely brutal

2 Likes

Yes, clonazepam is the generic name, Klonopin the brand name.

Same medication.

1 Like

I take 2.5 zyprexa for sleep, it’s my prn. If you only take 5 mg zyprexa consider yourself lucky, that’s a very small dosage.

3 Likes

I’ve been taking ziprexa for 14 years with good results. I would hate to have to quit it and become sleepless.

I took 40mg for 15 years but it stopped working so I slowly reduced my dosage and tapered off it. I started having sleep problem when I got down to 15mg, things became really bad at 2.5mg. And now that I am off it completely I can’t sleep at all, not one minute, even after being up for days. That is why I take clonazepam now.

1 Like

You might want to look into boosting the neurotransmitters that your AP has been blocking. Zyprexa works on 17 different types of brain receptors. When you come off it, the brain has been dislearned how to make the natural substances that go to those receptors, and that is probably the big problem.

Most important is probably Serotonin and GABA since those are the main relaxing neurotransmitters. You might want to look into supplementing with them, or eat foods that are high in them. You can get serotonin from food, but I think you would have to supplement with GABA. Wheter or not it is able to cross the blood brain barrier is debatable, but it’s worth a shot.

2.5 mg helped with the visuals, but I’m on 15mg right now and it’s definitely brought my symptoms under control

1 Like

Gee, that’s just awful. I hope you will return to good sleeping.

1 Like

I was on 20 mg zyprexa for ten years and slept and ate the whole time way too much. I got off onto loxapine and then Latuda. I never slept as well as when on zyprexa but I’d been asleep most of the time. I never had insomnia, the replacement drugs did the job enough.

1 Like

Yeah, I agree with you, my brain is probably going haywire trying to return to normal after affecting all those receptors. I tried GABA, it was useless, up to 1000mg. I don’t think it does cross the BBB, and another thing I read says that even the small amount that may get in the brain is removed from the brain 17x faster than when it enters.

Benzos work on GABA receptors which is why clonazepam helps me sleep. I also supplement with 5000mg of glycine before bed which has some kind of effect with serotonin to promote sleep. I also take 200mg of l-theanine before bed. I get between 5-7 hours sleep.

1 Like

I’m on latuda now, but it doesn’t help me sleep. It is very effective as an AP though.

so you have not been able to sleep since tapering off olanzapine? @Headspark

Nope, can’t sleep without some sort of sleeping pill.

I’ve tried everything. Benadryl, Doxylamine Succinate, Zolpidem, Zopilclone, Lorazepam, trazodone, promethezine and clonazepam

Clonazepam isn’t perfect but it works the best. Without it I can’t sleep at all, literally not even for 1 minute. My brain just won’t go into sleep mode without a sleeping pill of some kind.

1 Like

@Luke83

Withdrawing from antipsychotics: an analysis (kcl.ac.uk)

2 Likes

2.5mg olanzapine and 100mg sertraline sounds more like anxiety and ocd,not schizophrenia. I’m on 15mg olanzapine and 50mg sertraline.

1 Like

I’ve never been on a low dose of any ap
I’ve been on 30mg zyprexa, 30 mg abilify, max dose injection abilify and now 120mg latuda
From what pdocs have told me low doses of ap are not at the therapeutic level and don’t treat sz. But most of them just disappeared on me so forget what they say if it works then good for you, I imagine you don’t experience as intense of side effects on a low dose.

2 Likes

Yeah not feeling to bad. Still a little tired and sedated. But better then when on a higher dose.