Zyprexa... have anyone every had it?

Yeh i was just prescribed zyprexa from my doctor and im trying to see have anyone every taken it for a long period and if so how does it work for them. Both negative and positive effects?

I took Zyprexa a while back and it was a good drug for me, even if it did cause a little weight gain. After being off of it for years I was put back on it last summer, but I couldn’t tolerate it anymore, caused me terrible akathisia. Now I’m on Abilify Maintena injections and Haldol tablets instead.

I’ve found it’s good for delusions, anxiety and sleep. 7.5mg is what I take.

I’m one of the lucky few that doesn’t gain much weight from it.

so the years when you wasn’t taking it freakonaleash were you taking any med’s or where you med free

There were times I was on other APs, such as oral Abilify, then Latuda, then back to Abilify. I was tried on Seroquel at one time, as well, also Risperdal. There were times, though that I was not on an AP at all, just taking a mood stabilizer and an antidepressant. I have schizoaffective disorder, bipolar-type, though there were times in the past when my diagnosis was bipolar 1 with psychotic features.

I am on Zyprexa 7,5 mg since a year. Its one of the few aps who help me a bit without any other side effects. I gain weight but my illness is really scary so I remain on Zyprexa. It got me out of the bed. My pdoc was saying that it has an antidepressive effect a bit too :). But I still fight by my own my negative symptoms. I calmed a bit my fears but I still have a lot of paranoia and anxiety,idk why. My pdoc was saying that I dont have a typical paranoia so I guess it can work wonders for you :slight_smile:
take care :wink:

Only med’s i have ever taken was hadol, risperidol, seroquel and now zyprexa

Hi Im on 20mg per day zyprexa (Olanzapine) works well for me only negative is weight gain . Have been on it for three years prior to that I was on seroquel (Quietiapine) which didnt agree with me at all.

It was my second antipsychotic. I was on it 5 months before I stopped it cuz it “didn’t do anything”. At the time I was naive. Thought meds make you superhero but they just make you normal. I also experienced weight gain.

I started gaining weight with it so fast that I had to go off. I don’t know about its efficacy.

I took it for a while as a prn medication kept me out of the psych ward most of the time when my invega sustaina injection would wear off and my symptoms would flare up then I got switched to haldol because of weight gain concerns. So negatives for me were weight gain and sedation(sleep for 14hours). This was at 20-30mg.

I take 20mg a night for the last year or two. Had a bit of weight gain on it though not excessively so. Works more or less as well as any other I’ve taken (others being haloperidol, aripiprazole, quetiapine and risperidone), without too much negative effects. Also helps a bit with my sleep

Was on it on and off for a few years. Great for positive symptoms, not good for weight gain or increased risk of diabetes.
Met a woman who got settlement from zyprexa for her sudden development of diabetes.
I gained like 90 pounds on zyprexa. I basically exploded like some kind of human puffer fish
I was like 110 pounds when I started zyprexa
Had weight issues ever since…
It’s a heavyweight for voices and hallucinations though, so I might go on it again if abilify stops working

1 Like

lol there’s a running joke on the board about puffer fish. Not sure if u saw that or just a coincidence

1 Like

No I didn’t! Dang, I thought I made that up, i was so proud lol I was like ha I’m so witty

2 Likes

@flameoftherhine made a thread about how dolphins get high on puffer fish!! Lol

2 Likes

My experience in three words:

EXPLOSIVE WEIGHT GAIN.

Bonus word:

DIABETES.

1 Like

On it at 12.5mg. Really have to watch my sugar intake but otherwise good med he says while chewing an apple

although it’s more likely that it’s because of making progress in recovery and not the med switch, my anhedonia improved a bit after switching to zyprexa from risperidal/invega and staying in it for a couple years

hey,

Best antipsychotic by far for me.

Sedation is high but I’m me. It’s all different for you and your body.

Mentally it’s great for me. As with all antipsychotics and especially zyprexa they help you gain weight by breathing air…ie they are big weight gainers.

Get right mentally and then exercise all you can…often a hard thing to do but if your mentally right all things become one!

Rogueone.

I spent two years on 20mg and I was a zombie and put on 30 kilos in weight.

Sedating the body to that degree is not treatment at all.