Zyprexa can't help me sleep

Hi, I am wondering is it me that the Zyprexa is not at all sedating. I’m on 10mg my doctor just prescribe for me I took it last night and it did nothing for me I have chronic insomnia and it’s hell for me every night laying there and can’t fall asleep. I used to take 1200mg of Seroquel XR but that don’t help me fall asleep I would be sedated but can’t fall asleep! can someone help me about what meds I should try for my chronic insomnia please…Thanks!

Evryone says zyprexa is so sedating at low doses even but I didn’t find 10 mg to be that sedating. I mainly was on 20 mgs of zyprexa when I was on that and it really helped me sleep. But whenever the dose was lowered I couldn’t sleep at all. And now that I’m off of it I have an extremely hard time falling asleep most nights. And I’ve been off of it for awhile now. also I was on seroquel when I first got sick (800mg) and it wasn’t sedating for me atleast as much as how everyone else said it was. I’m on Thorazine now and it helps with sleep. I’ll sleep from like 1am to 11am

Have you tried the non XR seroquel?

900mg of that knocks me out for the night.

I take 12.5 zyprexa and have had insomnia often for 17 years

Now i take melatonin and l.theanine at night and i get good sleep

2 Likes

I’ve always been able to fall asleep near instantly, had troubles waking up and never felt un-tired, no matter how much sleep I got. After starting zyprexa, it takes me 10-15 minutes to fall asleep, which is a weird adjustment to have to make. Waking up is substantially harder than it was before, but sleep actually feels like it did some good.

Pdoc thinks it’s because of how mentally exhausted I constantly was before (no meds, rationalizing what is real based on baselines, likelihood of things occurring and others acknowledgement of them on top of normal living) rather than an effect of the meds. However, it started before we got it up to a therapeutic dose.

However, I’m not a good comparison because I am unable to fall asleep on clonazepam. It puts me in a half awake state and I’ll lie there for hours trying to sleep, same thing for benadryl or over the counter sleep meds.