Your screenshot of Desktop and Start Menu (if any)

This is mine:

Windows XP (Desktop)

Windows XP (Start Menu)

What is yours?

@Plumber, just for your information, in case you hadn’t heard, Microsoft has discontinued its support of XP as of about 6 weeks ago. You may want to upgrade/switch to Linux if you can.

Thank you very much for your information. I am aware of it. Because of the discontinued support, I have removed MS Security Essentials. I am new to Linux, and have no ideas where to start. What do you recommend? Can I download the .ISO? It is about time to learn new OS.

For a new user, I’d recommend Linux Mint 17 with the Cinnamon desktop.

http://www.linuxmint.com/edition.php?id=157

You’ll download the ISO file, and need a blank DVD disc and burner to burn the ISO. You can boot straight off the disk and try it out before you install it. During install, it’ll give you the option to retain your Windows partition, which I’d recommend. Do the install, reboot, and you’re done!

Pretty boring right now.

OK, I will try it out and let you know later. (The only problem is I only have optical drive which does not support recordable CD or DVD)
Thanks for your guidance.

It is too small. I think there is a row of icons beneath it.

If you know someone who has an external DVD burner, you could borrow that. Most of them are USB-based.

Here’s a twofer for ya. The top desktop is my Chromebook. The bottom desktop is my Windows 7 workstation I use for photo, video, and sound editing/processing. You’ll notice that aside from Adobe Creative Cloud, I tend toward the same software on both systems.

10-96

1 Like

I do not have the resources right now for at least a few weeks more. Can I burn it to SD card? I am unsure if the BIOS supports it as bootable device. The only thing I have besides the laptop PC is a smartphone with USB cable and 8GB micro SD as storage.

I use my smartphone. Have no startscreen. Oh. I have several screens with apps. :slight_smile:

Please feel free to share those screenshot here. I, for one, am more than happy to take a look at them.

I have installed Linux from SD cards before. If your system can boot from USB mass storage you’re in the green.

10-96

Here is my first screen.

The pic got stuck on 85%. Maybe it will turn up eventually. :slight_smile:

Thanks pixel, I’ll give it a try.

No picture shown here…

The upload is stuck on 85% and I can’t cancel it to try again. Guess we just have to wait.

Image is blurred to protect the innocent.

This is on a 23 inch 1920x1080 screen.

The computer is an IBM NetVista that was purchased in 2001. A relative gave to me for free some time ago.

2 Likes

You have installed virtually every Internet browsers on your Windows XP!
I forgot the name of the image viewer you’re using – I recognized them through the red icon which looked like paw.
And I could not believe you display them at such a high-resolution screen. Your monitor must be very big then. Amazing screenshot.

Like I said after my edit, I use a 23 inch flatscreen rather than the old monitor that came with the computer.

Being an old computer with a small power supply, it took a bit of looking before I found a video card that would support the SAMSUNG 23’ 1920x1080 res screen that I had purchased without demanding lots of power. But I found the very cheap GEFORCE 6200.

The next trick was to calibrate the two together to get the right color balance.

2 Likes