Your experience with mirtazapine?

Did it help you with ocd, moodiness, intrusive thoughts?

Yes but with rapid long term weight gain. It’s supposed to be a great med but does not get prescribed very often for this reason alone I think.

I too gained a lot of weight on it. Discontinued after six months or so. I don’t know if it had any positive effects or not. I took it for post-psychotic depression.

I know that Zyprexa causes my restless legs syndrome and so I have to take Pramipexole every night so that I can sleep, I could not sleep well without.

https://treato.com/Mirtazapine,Pramipexole/?a=s

But I wanna gain weight! My issue is just the many reviews calling it a terrible drug on various forums. People complaining of nightmares, insomnia, a worsening of their ocd, terrible anxiety, and I respond very poorly to blockage of adrenergic receptors… Risperidone gave me serious heart issues.

Guys please answer if you have social dysfunction. Mirtazapine is supposed to increase serotonin and shuffle it towards 5HT1A or something, which should increase oxytocin and help social functioning.

my doc talk about giving it to me because I have tension headache and its suppose to help with that. What do you guys think?

Me, social dysfunction … ? well I am alone most of my time … what does it tell you …

I mean, are you more able to “connect” with people, feel close to them, relate to them, feel a desire to be with others, enjoy your time with others - any of those things?

I am happy when I am alone, surely I like to communicate with people, especially here on the forum, it is a complex matter, I have not enjoyed being with others for such a long time, I am ok to spend my time alone …

@NoEmotions

My opinion is that no medication can do what you’re seeking. There are meds that can dull fear and anxiety in the short term, but increase social anxiety in the long term.

Psychotherapy would probably be most helpful.

It’s ok, if you read my other thread you will find that I have always preferred solitude and I feel no social desire. This is a symptom of schizotypy, etc. I am interesting in, and please answer, did it make you feel a desire for social interaction, or did it make you more able to function socially in anyway whatsoever? Even if you don’t like being social, like myself, I just wanna know if it had any effect on oxytocin as it looks like it could.

Sorry but this is not true. I’ve found many things that improve social functioning. It’s not a matter of psychology but of pharmacology. gaba-b and 5ht1a, etc. The issue is that their pharmacology is so bizarre or terrible that these drugs are just not worth taking. I’m looking for a magic bullet that can both fix my “positive” and my “negative”/cognitive issues all at once. And yes this will be difficult.

I suppose you mean Pramipexole, I have to take it for my RLS, it does not affect my behavior, being social or not …but if I sleep well, this has a good effect on my daily behavior, maybe making me less paranoid and more social …

Oh, you didn’t take mirtazapine? I should’ve read better.

I tried it for a few days. It may have been a placebo effect but I feel like I felt happier, more relaxed and slept well. But was already hungrier after just 1 week, so I stopped it and moved on to the next.

1 Like

Mirtazapine is great at 15mg makes me relaxed and sleeps well its the only med id take.

1 Like

How is the withdrawal from mirtazapine?

Its not to bad if i come off it for a few weeks sleep is not so good