Will my brain heal itself?

I am a 21 year old male who had an episode 2 years ago. My most refractory symptom is poverty of speech, which leads me to believe my pfc has connection problems. In other words, part of my brains normal connections have been cut down by synaptic pruning. My only issues with executive functions are the inability to initiate and sustain conversation. I have read that the brain keeps being remodeled until about age 25. Does this mean my executive functioning issues will get better before I turn 25 or are these negative symptoms for life? Most expressive aphasia sufferers see no improvement after two years or more. Is this reason for me to believe my sluggish mind will never recover its previously held abilities. I feel like my brain is at a tenth of its premorbid functioning when it comes to this. Can I put my faith in neuroplasticity. Would it help to exercise the brain?

1 Like

Maybe talk to a dr / professional or maybe someone here has an answer for you, its a pretty big question though.

Here’s a 3 minute promo clip of the use of brain training to bring back the ability to speak fluently following brain damage. The training is available at www.brainhq.com

1 Like

It can’t hurt to excersise the brain.
I think of the brain like the SSA thinks about work for the disabled, if you can’t do what you used to, train for something different.

You body doesn’t do at 50 what it did at 18years.
Adjust.

1 Like

It could possibly improve from forced repetition of good habits that’s would make it look like you don’t have negative symptoms.
It will feel forced but it is duable. That’s my experience. But as soon as I stop trying my lack of motivation and avolition is right there waiting for me it seems.

1 Like

That’s it right there for me, well said

2 Likes

There are MRI scans that the brain repairs itself with a combination of meds and talking therapy. The brain also doesn’t fully mature until 27. Everything you do in therapy will help a great deal more at your age before 27 and will help a great deal more then some one older. The younger you are the quicker you pick up all the knowledge.

I’ve lost heaps of functioning and I’m 21 and got sick not even a year ago…im slowly declining day by day so I don’t know. I was a high functioning person beforehand though. Everyone’s diffreint. Some people have tbi and come back to normal there not pyschoticly ill though.

I don’t have the answer. Brain training sounds like it might help. Couldn’t hurt. I hope my brain heals itself. How nice that would be. I could use some healing.

My social life has recovered from schizophrenia. No, not because I read statistics, or no, not because I was just another miraculous recovery story. Schizophrenia is from what I’ve learned so unique for for everybody that you cannot just understand it in how many number of cases / stories you attend / read about. I’m not saying that you have every reason to hope because you just aren’t there yet. And also, saying that can make you think I’m saying it just to comfort you. But they have gone so far in progression of understanding schizophrenia. In my life time I’ve sat through a powerpoint in grade 5 about how schizophrenia is mutiple personalities to being 24 and that completely led to my false learning of schizophrenia. I’ve went from feeling like “it’s just a phase / feeling that will pass/ go away in time” to having actual doctors wanting to work with me, because I have THIS. Turns out I am that special after all. Like, just those examples right there show how some blind justice can turn into a truly real and important phenomenon that has to addressed. No, your alogia will not go away, but you will find importance in conversation again. you will fall in love with a girl you can talk to, just don’t underestimate the doctors that are there to for you . No you’re alogia will not go away, THAT DOESNT YOU CANT LEARN HOW TO CONVERSE AGAIN. that doesn’t mean that you won’t converse. except you might not talk like you used to. you might express yourself from a different part of your brain now. That’s what I do

2 Likes

The thing is that it’s been a huge blow to my self-confidence. I feel like such an idiot for not being able to come up with funny or interesting things to say, even amongst my friends. Negative symptoms are the worst.

Nicky you have to show resilience.
Work with what you have.
Also, try to train your brain.
Also you can read a newspaper so that you have something to say about current events.
@Schizzy_Nicky
Try to lead a healthy lifestyle. Exercise diet.
If you take medication consider how it affects your brain.
I don’t know if I’ll ever be 100 percent cognition, but I try as well as I can.
I hope my advice os helpful,
Erez

Thanks for the input, Erez. I’m definitely trying to do everything I can to get back to “normal.” Trying gluten-free diet, working out twice a week, playing strategy games, reading (as hard as it is to concentrate sometimes), taking sarcosine and an assortment of vitamins.

It’s definitely been the most difficult experience of my life and I wasn’t prepared for this trial by fire at all. I still can’t believe what happened sometimes. I don’t know if I’ve fully come to terms with it. It’s as if it’s just been a long nightmare and I’m about to wake up from it soon.