Why sz patients misjudge their cognition and functioning

Though the article itself is so overloaded with 50-word sentences using five-syllable words even I (hahaha) have trouble understanding some of them, the table below may be of use to some here.

Impaired self-assessment in schizophrenia: Why patients misjudge their cognition and functioning

Observations from caregivers and clinicians seem to have the most validity

Current Psychiatry 2015 April;14(4):53-59.

http://www.currentpsychiatry.com/home/article/impaired-self-assessment-in-schizophrenia-why-patients-misjudge-their-cognition-and-functioning/09b7b3f10173c6458025947f2dac9ebf.html

Patient characteristics that predict accuracy of self-assessment of function:

Characteristic . . . . . . . . . . . .Self Assessment is likely…

Low Depression . . . . . . . . . .Overestimated

Moderate Depression . . . . . .Accurate

High Depression . . . . . . . . . .Underestimated

Psychosis . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Overestimated

Negative Symptoms . . . . . . .Overestimated

Impaired Cognition . . . . . . . .Overestimated

Never Employed . . . . . . . . . Overestimated

Unemployed but . . . . . . . . . .Accurate
worked previously

I am always very upfront about my cognitive and functioning issues. Cognitively I am not stupid but have areas of cognitive deficit ie much better verbally than visual spatially/performance, problems with organising and planning(executive function), not good with multi step tasks.
Functioning is variable across ADLs. I am not on the bottom rung functioning wise but neither am I on the top one .

Hmm, I tend to persistently underestimate my academic performance lately. While I used to be fairly good in predicting the grade of an essay, the last 5 or so turned out to be remarkebly higher than I thought they would. I am sometimes wavering between the thought that my essays are either full of trivialities or simply missing the point entirely. Yet the grades tell a different story. And also, these worries are not consistent with how I think about myself generally. They only show up regarding particular paragraphs or essays, not with regards to a more abstract self-image of my abilities. Now I know one cannot simply convert this table to conclude from this occasional but clear underestimation of my cognitive functioning that I am highly depressed. This wouldn’t add up with my experience anyway. But it is something I have been noticing and sometimes troubled by for the last year or so - which also was when my last episode was.