Who has tred clozapine

what are your opinion on clozapine have you tried it?
all answers appreciated.

I haven’t tried it, but my doctor said it’s a good medicine, but it makes you gain weight. It is also dangerous for 1/1000 people, but that’s a small percentage. I hope it works for you.

1 Like

You start off having to have weekly blood tests reducing after about a year to monthly to make sure it’s not lowering your white blood count. Hence why I refuse to start on it.

It can also make you drool badly but there is another tablet you can take that helps a little.

I think it also carrys black box warnings for and seizures.

2 Likes

I was on it very briefly, and it had a unique effect on me. It totally destroyed my sense of balance. I could barely stand up and was in constant danger of doing a nose dive into the carpet.

2 Likes

I’ve been on clozapine for 3-4 years now and it’s the only med that ever did anything for me, apparently it’s effective for non-responders to the other medications which is me. The side-effects also aren’t bad compared to the other meds and it raises prolactin the least of them all. I have to have blood tests once a month but nothing bad has happened yet.

1 Like

Been on clozaril 10 years
Slobbering at night and bed wetting. Have to put disposable sheets on and weight gain but I manage that with diet and exercise
Done quite well on it mentally
Still not 100% but improving all time

2 Likes

thanks everyone I have a decision between abilify and clozapine going to take my time. thanks for replies!

1 Like

I’ve also been on Abilify and reacted badly to it.

I had nausea dizziness and vomiting so had a blood test and a meds change back to my first antipsychotic Zyprexa (Olanzapine).

2 Likes

I was on Clozapine for 10 months or so in 2004 and it gave me bad side effects like excessive drooling, excessive sedation and I once even wet my bed (luckily in hospital). Other than that I don’t remember any other problems. I heard its a good med but the side effects were too much for me so I didn’t stick it out.

3 Likes

Clozeril is the only drug that’s made a dint for me as well. I’ve been on it for 4 years and i have bad tachycardia ( a fast heart beat) from it. I had to see a cardiologist and wear a heart monitor and the psychiatrist and cardiologist argued whether I should even be on it. But it’s under control now with medication.

1 Like

I said ■■■■ that ■■■■…

My sons been on clozapine for 6 months- had noticeable improvements at 200mg. but got borderline blood tests twice- I did not think blood tests were too bad (ABN 2.6 lowest) but dr. worried and reduced meds. At 175mg- symptoms of talking to himself return significantly, Not sure if he can try Abilify again, because had serious reaction when Abilify prescribed with several other medications- can’t figure out cause of reaction since too many meds.

No significant problems with being tired, drool at night not really bothersome, some weight gain but not excessive. Did not care about the blood tests. was happy to be better.
Was very good on 200mg. clozapine but now we have to change/add.

Hi. I have been on clozapine for 5 and half years . (5 years and 6 months). I have tried various other atypical antispychotics (ziprasidone, risperidone,olanzapine,quetiapine,sertindole) and none of them compare to clozapine. With clozapine you get some internal peace and happiness and it also wipes out all delusions and hallucinations. The most bothersome side effect that I got is constipation. I have to drink water with large magnesium content so I can counteract constipation. Other than that, no other side effects. Take care. Best regards.

1 Like

There is an unopened bottle of Clozapine from 2011 still sitting in the meds tub on the top shelf in my room.
The pharmacist went over the possible side effects with me since it was my first time taking it, and by the time she was finished, I was too scared to take it.

3 Likes

Hi
What dosage are you on?

I tried it and at a high dose it worked on psychosis but it drop my blood pressure so low I would faint and fall down.

How long until you were free of symptoms?