Who has been in jail, homeless, institution

I’m wondering how many people have gone through one or all of these. I was diagnosed much later in my life. I think it’s been 4 years now. I was completely paranoid sz. I was also so scared I blocked memory. I couldn’t remember my family or friends. I wanted to get away from people that were in my life . I thought they were dangerous and wanted to hurt me, I wanted to be around strangers to feel safe. I felt jails, homeless shelters and institutions for the mental illness would keep me safe. I would get panic attacks, anxiety and real memories that I wanted to repress. I’m much better now, still some blocked memories.

Stayed the night in homeless shelter. It stunk like poop, the staff was rude and some guy tried to rape me by tricking me into going camping. Fortunately God was onto him. Lived in a group home for 2 years after that. Much better. Lots of impatient hospitalizations which I love but one involuntary commitment which I don’t remember much of even though I was there all summer long.

2 Likes

And one weekend in jail when I was 15 for drinking under age but the judge threw it out cause I got stuck there a holiday weekend and he thought that was punishment enough.

1 Like

I’ve been homeless for short periods - a few months or so at a time. One summer I just walked around outside for several months because if I had lived with my parents I would have had to take Haldol. I’ve been in jail a few times - a couple of two month stints, and a one month stint. I also have a few overnight stays for public intoxication. I guess you could say I’m in an institution now. I live in an assisted living center for the mentally ill. I’ve been hospitalized well over twenty times, the last time because I o.d.'ed on some pills. I wasn’t trying to kill myself. I was just trying to get stoned. That was several years ago.

1 Like

benzos eh?

I’ve been institutionalized a bunch of times. Never really been homeless but close to it. Close to jail but never been in worse than a holding cell.

Institutionalized about 5 times on suicide attempts

I have been jailed on three occasions. one for stealing a crab bucket on Fisherman’s wharf, (San Fran jail, horrible, there was a guy going through withdrawal in the cell and the cops made fun of me when I had to strip)
second time was new year’s eve at a party. cops took me and all my buddies into jail and we ended up partying later that early morning when we made bail. haha…third time was for a bogus check charge for a five dollar check I’d wrote six months before. it was deferred. the rest of the times cops led me by cop car delivery to the mental wards. they always cuffed really sharp on the wrists. really hurt. cops make me nervous.

I have been in jail once for 30 days for hitting my aunt when I was manic. I’ve been hospitalized twice and hated it, I couldn’t wait to get out.Ive never been homeless… Thank God for family.

1 Like

i was in lock up/jail for one night… :bomb:
slept in a bus shelter in scotland… :bus:
and park benches in australia… :parking:
and in cars… :car:
and the worst thing… no money for food…funtimes !?!

all of the above are ’ overated ’ things to do.
take care :alien:

4 Likes

I have been in all three. I had no idea I had a family, but my family did keep an eye on me, because I’m back home. I was traumatized, living a normal life for over thirty years to a paranoid psychotic delusional full symptoms schizophrenia

I was in hospital from 17 to 18. In and out 3 short times when I was 19.

When I was 20 I was in a very dark space in my life… I was very anti-med and very angry about everything. I had NO insight into anything. Was sure that everything was all my parents fault… every setback… every sorrow… I blamed on my parents. I even once accused them not even being my parents.

I left my family and was homeless for little over a year. That was real set back and sorrow. Tent city… homeless shelters… and park benches… I never want to be homeless again.

While homeless… I was un-medicated and heavily drinking… I caused enough of a public disturbance I got taken into the hospital by the police. (I call those years my rabid times)

While I was back in hospital… my family said they couldn’t take care of me so that is when I ended up in the group home circuit.

I kept getting kicked out. I was going nowhere fast for the better part of two or three years… at 24 I tried to earnestly leave this life. I landed back in hospital for a while…

After that… it was time to get sober… stop drugs… and listen to my doc… take the Seroquel and got to therapy…

Life got a lot better when I started working with my pdoc instead of against him. There were still some hard times and some relapses… but not as bad as they were when I was a total mess.

I don’t miss who I was… I don’t miss those times at all. There was a lot of damage to our family due to me. We’re finally all healing.

5 Likes

Twice hospitalized
had a nice vaccation over there
:sunny:

1 Like

I was in jail for one day. I was locked up in a psychiatric hospital for 8 months back in 1982.

I’ve been in jail for 4 months for a couple of bad things I’ve done. I was psychotic then. It was one of my worst times…

I was locked up in a holding cell several times until I could get bail the following morning for driving UI during the days that I was self medicating.

Yeah man, I’ve been homeless after Afghanistan…walking the streets looking for fast food work walking my pittbull lady to protect me and everything I owned in a backpack…then I went to county jail before…By BFF homeboy is in jail right now in fact, and I can’t afford to bail him rn…pigs are mafiosos.

what a ? I think a lot of it could have been not in my control. and laws keep me from getting the binifits need to stay out of homelessness. move over buba. I need the bed.

1 Like

I know what you mean, for a year I slept on a camping cot for 70 bucks instead of a bed cause I couldn’t afford one. I hate the way we treat the mentally ill, who are usually indoctrinated into illness through traumas in their childhood…now the govt wants to control everyone by violating them and branding them mentally ill or even (lesser human).

1 Like
1 Like