When we keep on trying to feel good

Every day people ask me how I do. Whether I feel on top of the world or like ■■■■ I always reply with a good or very well thanks. This sometimes get to me to always pretend that everything is fine. I can complain that I’m not feeling well but no one will understand just how very unwell I am although I appear physically fine. Sometimes I have to be the strong one amidst friends or siblings who should actually assist or help me. It really drives me to an episode when I have to deal with the stresses of neorotypicals. But I cope …by hook or by Crook. How do you cope with same situations?

1 Like

If the people know I’m sz then they probably know me well enough to see when I’m not 100%. When with the others though I’m sure I’ve developed a reputation for disappearing.

With my symptoms. I find its best to be alone.

I’m even thinking of skipping my sisters wedding party this summer. Once in a lifetime thing. I don’t want to travel that far though. Just to trapped around neurotypicals for 3 days…

Yeah ■■■■ that.

Or in other words. I don’t. At least not for very long.

1 Like

In the past, I used to tell everyone I felt a mess, but now I trust only certain people. Even if I tell them I am not good, I try to justtify it with good reasons, and I don’t speak to every stranger on the net(except from here and another place, but I have quit using chats). Normal people make me really anxious lately.

1 Like

That is one of my coping tactics as well to avoid neurotypicals as much as possible. I really don’t cope with get togethers like that. I don’t even have smart clothes to wear for weddings and funerals and stuff. I always use the excuse that I don’t have smart clothes.

Yeah dude it sucks. Even just being a brother of the bride puts you in line for a lot of attention. Two whole family’s mingling for 5 hours.

So what do you do?
So what do you do?
So what do you do?

■■■■ off I have sz.(that’s what I want to say)

1 Like

My problem is…how do you tell someone you feel that you are experiencing an episode. What does any body understand from that apart from people on this site who can relate or fellow MI people.

I think you should avoid telling this, normal people won’t understand or they might treat you unexpectedly. I wouldn’ t want this to happen to me.

1 Like

Yes I try to avoid telling people who knows I have a mental illness when I’m unwell. With normal people I just avoid them or pretend that everything is fine.

1 Like

You can always tell us here when you are unwell, I think that’s the purpose of this site, to make us feel a little better.

1 Like

Thanks @redrose you’re so kind. I have made use of this site in the past when I had a relapse and the support was overwhelming.

2 Likes

See? I believe most people here are kind because as one said for a certain kid, we are like lambs among wolves. But we can be strong if we want to. There are people who can support us, we just have to find them.

3 Likes

Apart from my pdoc and gp that I pay for support, I have no other support than this forum. I have a sister and brother and father that knows about my mi but don’t know ■■■■ about support for a person suffering from sz.

Yea man… We are here for you…

2 Likes

Thanks @petester it’s comforting to know that you are here for me. I hope you’re doing well yourself.

I am Bro!!! … Thanks.

1 Like

I wish they understood you better, my people who are close to me try not to pressure me much, but still, they can’t help me as much as the doctor/therapist does, but at least they try to.

1 Like

@redrose I once told my sister that I’ve come across a good article from Fred Freeze and I want them to read it. She said “WHAT do you think that I also have sz???” …All I wanted to do is to give them the article to read so that they could have a little insight and maybe have more tolerance for my situation. Because of her response I never gave them the article to read.

Oh, I 'm sorry for this. Normal people can never reach us, can never have our courage and patience and greatness of soul.

P.S. I meant "press’ earlier.

1 Like

For a long time, I pretty much just isolated myself from all of my friends and family, because I thought they couldn’t possibly understand or support someone in this situation. The problem with that is most of us Need positive and caring interactions. And not just for chit-chat or fun.

When I did start giving my friends a chance to support me, they seriously brought it! They showed me that they CAN in fact understand. And that the support of “normal” friends can be a great stress relief, coping skill, and my favorite: Reality Testing lol.

Now, they know me and my condition so well that they’re able to see when things are starting to go awry BEFORE I even see. And they step in respectfully to help.

So I would definitely say: Give friends and family a chance. Communicate your situation and feelings to them. Repeatedly, if necessary lol. And let them show you how supportive they can be. You might be very pleasantly surprised!

Be Well,

Anthony

4 Likes

Thanks!!! For your comment!