When are the new drugs coming out?

Ive been reading drug company websites and none of them say when new pipeline drugs are expected to recieve fda approval. It seems like its always moving at a snails pace almost as if the companies dont care about us who are suffering with the illness.

Are you personally waiting on any new drugs besides iti-007? What are they and when are they expected to come out?

Would image the 5 gene link discovery. Which was the genetic link between autism, attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD), bipolar disorder, major depression and schizophrenia (around 2013) That are the 5 are all related on a genetic level. The discovery in itself means the current ways of med treatments are obsolete. Does also mean in the long run there will be more effective treatments with less side effects so will be worth the wait. Looking forward to see how that all goes more then looking forward to any new medication.

If you already have sz it doesnt make a different that scientists know how it develops. You have to benefit from the medications that are currently available. When u say in the long run u are referring to treatments or preventions that will exist decades from now. We might as well benefit from medications that are being made in the near future rather than long after we have grown old or even died.

1 Like

It can be painful waiting for drugs to come out i was looking forward to bitopertin years ago but it failed phase 3, no good new meds have come out since i got unwell 10 years ago.

Maybe the technology isn’t there yet. U don’t see people in wheelchairs asking “where’s the cure?”

1 Like

It really makes me wonder if the scientists and drug companies simply dont care about us. All they care about is making a profit. Other diseases have meds coming out but the schizophrenia pipeline is extremely empty. I have to conclude that the pharmaceutical companies are either bent on getting money or simply dont care about schizophrenics.

I know your trying to create a contrast between what schizophrenics and people who are stuck in wheelchairs suffer. But honestly have you ever met a treatment resistant schizophrenia patient or someone with bad cognitive impairment? Someone who is unable to even access reality. People in wheelchairs can work full time, get degrees, make friends and have a life. While the people you meet in the hospital can’t even function because they are mental quadriplegics.

And those meds have taken years to get to be approved by the FDA/other equivalent regulatory bodies for usage. It’s not just psychiatric drugs that go through a lengthy process .

1 Like

There are different degrees of physical incapacity just as there are different degrees of mental illness. There are some people in wheelchairs that can do the things you mention ,and others that can’t. Ditto for people with mental illness.

But schizophrenia is unique in that the measurement of how ill someone is and how effective medication is is not tangible. You can’t point at someones body and say ‘there is the anhedonia’. So I feel like since measurements are uncertain the meds tend to fail in later trials because the placebo response is too high. This is just my observation. Schizophrenia seems inherently inconsistent in measurement and treatment and that seems to hinder new medications from earning approval.

1 Like

I wasn’t trying to contrast people in wheelchairs with schizophrenia. I was just pointing out that both may be far away from cures, if even possible. Pharma has put a lot of effort into sz medication, it just hasn’t been that effective.

1 Like

minocycline was 100% effective, but dangerous side effects

they need to do more research on that one

There probably has been a new drug come out every 4 years or so on average. Most of the ones in early trials don’t suceed.
We can go to www.clinicaltrials.gov and do advanced searches to find drugs in Phase 3 and when the trials are due to end.

1 Like

Its a difficult to use interface. There are too many trials of old meds to sift through to find the new meds.

i will be dead by the time The Cure comes out

3 Likes