What's worse?

I made this thread before but deleted it cuz I was having a bad night…but what’s worse to you?

Having success in life and having it all taken away from you by sz?

OR

Being doooomed from the start from early/prodromal sz?

Of course either case can recover! Not trying to discourage that by any means!

But what do you think is worse?

I say equal but maybe others have a different vantage point…

Both are equally bad, I can’t really say one is worse than the other.

3 Likes

I had a lot of hope when I was 19, even though I was already experiencing symptoms…so I’m kind of in the middle of the spectrum, and can say they both obviously suck.
But maybe getting your degree, makes it easier to find a new job after recovery, but then again having success taken away can be most traumatizing.

So there are pros and cons to both. Agree overall it’s equal though :dark_sunglasses:

1 Like

Maybe I should have made the thread “list pros and cons to each scenario” rather than “what’s worse”

Don’t mean to downplay any bodies experiences with sz…

Oh don’t worry I don’t think that you are.

1 Like

I was 22 when I was first diagnosed and had to drop out of college and lose my job. so I felt like lost it all.

It doesn’t matter when it happens. Because it’s never over. People can recover.

1 Like

My doctors always ask if I grieve the loss of my previous potential career - like I would do better if I released some sadness about it.

But in all honesty I don’t give a ■■■■ about my previous life. I didn’t enjoy it.

Right now I have gotten to know myself better than most muggles do. Sure some stuff could be better. But I have my music - they can’t take that from me.

3 Likes

The latter is worse. “Be like the flower that leaves its fragrance to the hand that crushes it”

When I got ill I already made an impression that I was a successful young man to people. I was full-time college student at a good school, a waitor, had a car & friends.

Back to the quote, everyone I knew knows I was crushed by SZ, but I left my fragrance on the world

OR… Having SZ and letting it hold you back from having success.

Yeah, my disease came on slowly starting at 16 and became full blown at age 19. I gradated high school at age 17 because I skipped 8th grade. But after I graduated, I really didn’t have much to lose to schizophrenia.

After high school I had a series of low paying jobs and I partied as much as I could with a couple of friends I met at jobs. My friend had a low-rider 1966 Chevy Impala and I had a 1966 Chevy Malibu Chevelle. We drove around drinking beer and smoking pot and occasionally eating acid when we weren’t working and going various places. So I’m kind of in the middle I guess. I wasn’t doomed while I was younger but I wasn’t very successful.

Unless you count driving my friends around at night so they could break into cars and steal tape decks as being successful.

2 Likes

I tried many times, but can’t answer the question.
I had sz from a very early age so it was normal - that is how I new my life.
I had to be hospitalized from 13-16 from other medical issues and also sz. So then hospital became normal.
Then my other medical went into remission and I was back to just day-to-day sz = normal learning to cope in isolation except immediate family became normal.

That was my sz life for about 10 yrs, then it sz seemed to go into remission and I felt strange like not in my life. Then I learned to live like norms - but always fearful it would end. I was functional for almost 5yrs.

Then full blown out psychotic break again. so hospital and back to being sz fulltime. I was home again.

Then overdrugged on my meds by pdoc and just felt nothing slept all the time. That was the worse. Now working on getting back to just being sz normal.