What should I do about this (abilify, new med, symptoms present, low energy)

I was off meds for a while. now im on abilify 10mg for 3 weeks. Note, i’ve been a little inconsistent w the dose, but i have taken it every morning. About a week ago it gave me energy and i dont remember noticing any delusional thoughts. But now I’m totally drained, which is the norm, and for a couple days i’ve been battling whether or not people are manipulating me, commuicating in code to me, or reading my thoughts. I keep thinking that since the antipsychotics never really take away these ‘delusions’, maybe i’m right about it all and there true. I don’t want a higher dose bc that probably means ill get even more tired, right? Or will relief from these symptoms possibly give me energy and motivation again? I’m so tired of this.

Inconsistent with the dose? What do you mean? If you’ve been taking 5 mg or something every other day you’re not getting the full therapeutic effect. Below 10 mg it doesn’t act as an AP.

1 Like

I’ve been taking abilify since Oct 6th.I messed up on it by only taking 5mg and had breathing problems at first. Since oct10th I have been taking abilify at 10mg. I takje cogentin with it.it helps euthythe side effects.

If you’re not taking the same dose every day, it’s not going to work. You need to take it at the same dose every day for about eight weeks before it will start to get better for you. After eight weeks, the sleepiness should wear off, too. If it doesn’t, you can always ask to try a different med. but at least give your body the full eight weeks to get used to it before making any judgments.

1 Like

Thanks. This is the info I was looking for. I for some reason thought 5 mg was perfectly valid, but drugs,com apparently says 10 is the min. So that’s actually good news. Thank you.

1 Like

Sorry this is off topic to the question at hand, as far as im concerned this is a closed topic since I got my answer. However, if anyone has any advice on how to deal with this crap until abilify works that would be appreciated. I cant help but pace the room chain smoking. And I don’t even have the focus for tv, besides i suck at understanding some abstraction right now.

I know there was another user here who heard coded messages in everything. He listened to instrumental music only, because he didn’t hear any codes in it. Maybe that could help you, too?

Cogentin.ask your pdoc about cogentin

There’s also L-theanine for the restlessness. It is available over the counter. @everhopeful you use it for this, I think you said?

I use it for sleep and anxiety.

1 Like

Yes, I take L-theanine for anxiety and restlessness. It helps a lot. Also I recently went from 10mg to 15mg and didn’t get any extra anxiety / restlessness.

1 Like