What is the best antipsychotic medication out there that stops especially the voices

Hello,

What is the best medication to stop the voices? I’ve tried citalopram and abilify, and currently take chlorpromazine. None of these stop the voices and just make me sleepy. I want to try a medicine that helps to quiet the voices as much as possible, possibly getting rid of them.

I was thinking of trying Amisulpride. Any suggestions of medicine that works for you would be greatly appreciated!

I’m on geodon, i don’t get audible voices anymore unless i am really stressed, but i do still get voices/music in my head…if that makes sense.
I think i heard everything works different for everyone, so i don"t know if anyone can guarantee what works for them will work for you.

1 Like

thank you for your response. I hate being under stress because it makes everything seem worse and the auditory louder:( I just want the voices to go away, than life would be more bearable. God bless, and again, many thanks! :smile:

2 Likes

It depends on the person, what works for one person may not work for someone else.
Maybe you could try a few more out and find out?

I just wanted some opinions based on what works best for you. trial and error is the best way to go, but are any better for stopping the voices than others?

I started haldol at 2mg twice a day and it worked but made me feel zombie so I decreased to .5mg once a day and it quites them and helps me realize that sounds I hear are not voices. If I drink too much caffeine it makes voices more active but the .5mg definitely helps.

1 Like

Clozapine is said to be the most effective, followed by Risperdal.

1 Like

thank you. I think I may try Geoden or risperidal. I checked them out online and they both seem good.

thank you so much! will check out Haldol online.

Haldol decanoate 75 mgs every other week worked so well in quieting the voices that after 4 months or so, I got way too lonely and begged to stop the shots.

1 Like

I am on amisulpride, it works very well for me.

Anecdotally I have heard haloperidol can just make the voices disappear for some people. However it can have a pretty bad side effect profile so it is not used so much. But in my local hospital it is the go to drug for when people are first admitted. It is often used as a stop gap before long term meds are started.

It gave me terrible akathisia so I had to stop. I know take depixol (also an old fashioned typical). This works like magic for me and I get few side effects. Don’t want to come off it.

1 Like

The two most effective meds for stopping my voices are Haldol and Prolixin.

1 Like

ALcohol and loyud music, yahahahah!

I have had a good experience with the XR as well. Take it first thing in the morning and am good for the day. I also found the regular quetiapine very drowsying

1 Like

Personally for me I have tried most medications and now been on clozaril 10 years
Sometimes I want go back on amisulpiride as clozaril sometimes do not work and I get breakthrough symptoms whic are unpleasant and I have vicious cycle with anxiety
I kind of hope they get better meds and hope symptoms will go
I’m not saying it will be the same for you
Some people do very well when they find right meds

1 Like

For me both Risperidone and Orap have worked, the latter free of a lot of the heavy side effects of the former.

1 Like

This is actually scientifically right. Clozapine is well known in the research world to be the best antipsychotic. The key issue is some people (1 in 100 I think) get problems with white blood cell counts which can be fatal, so they do periodic white blood cell tests for a while to make sure you’re doing well.

I would start with that first.

1 Like

Here is info on Clozapine:

1 Like