What factors do you attribute your schizophrenia?

Complications in childbirth, traumas/blows in infancy, family problems, addictions, stress, various factors,…??

Tell me! :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

Mine was severe stress I think from life events.

4 Likes

Sexual abuse, psychological abuse and trauma, stress, fanatically religious parent, etc etc

2 Likes

I think we are all geniuses too… just saying

4 Likes

What about you ?

I would like to think the same about me, but there’s no way to have the creativity I had when I was a child :relieved:

In my case I think birth complications, familiar problems (parents always having big discursions and abuse every day), head trauma in childhood, and stress moments in adolescence. A big combo.

Even knowing I can’t do anything for this at the moment, I can’t stop thinking about it.

1 Like

I was somewhat premature and was a smallish baby at 5 pounds Maybe that and the sz is linked to the fact that I have Celiac disease, My mothers family has a lot of cases of alcoholism and clinical depression.

My dad’s family I know very little about as none of them ever wanted anything to do with me, including my dad. I wonder if they ever felt guilty.

3 Likes

Banging my head pretty badly a couple of times as a kid, smoking a lot of weed as a teenager.

1 Like

I’m very sorry, I’m sure that this will carry on in their conciousness all their life, just worry about who cares about you :slightly_smiling_face::kissing_closed_eyes:

I also forgot alcoholism and depresion problems in my mother’s family.

Thanks for your sympathy. As for my fathers family, I don’t know if they know much about me to really care. They carried out this scheme for my dad to get out of paying child support. So I figure they didn’t contact me or my mom because we would use that contact to find him so we could report him to pay child support. Now.,probably neither of us would. I think one of my grandparents who carried out the scheme is dead.

But since I’ve never met any of them I don’t really think of them as family the way you would your family

2 Likes

Most likely I got it from being born prematurely or because my parents had a cat around the time that I was born.

I could care less why I have it. I’m interested in the factors that help me overcome it.

3 Likes

Sleep disturbances, nutritional factors, an adverse reaction to d-amphetamine (according my previous psychiatrist), and a frenzied obsession with conspiracy theories.

Heavy drug use and stress

A stressful childhood (severe panic disorder)
A very bad experience with Mescaline in college.

You are in a good point

This is one of those “can’t put the toothpaste back in the tube” situations.

Obviously, don’t do things that will make it worse, like:

• Using street drugs
  • Abusing prescription drugs
  • Abusing over the counter drugs or supplements
  • Playing with your medications
  • Consuming alcohol to excess
  • Consuming alcohol with meds where that is contraindicated

The people who do the above? They don’t really exhibit meaningful recovery, and I’ve seen plenty of them go downhill over the years (things can always get worse). Here’s what I recommend instead:

1. Take meds as directed
  2. Be open and honest with your doctors/nurses
  3. Take advantage of any therapy or CBT that you can
  4. Try to create your own CBT from books and get therapy from workbooks if you don’t have access to the above
  5. Keep your brain active – keep finding things to learn and challenge yourself
  6. Do your best to eat well and exercise regularly
  7. Keep a positive, recovery oriented attitude and surround yourself with other positive, forward-looking people

My 2 cents.

5 Likes

Very useful and right, thanks!! @shutterbug

Sorry but I don’t understand how can affect a cat :thinking:

2 Likes

Pick one of the following I’m not quite sure.
1 my mom used to let me play with mercury when the thermometers broke.
2 I drank Off with Deet in it to make my friends laugh at summer camp.
3 I smoked pot about 15 times.
4 my older brother had sz
5 In my 20’s I couldn’t totally give my life to God so I asked him to do what’s necessary so I would submit. I gave my life to Christ Nov 1 2010 in the psych ward. Best thing that has ever happened to me.
I really lean towards number 5 but I really don’t know.