What are your tips for people with schizophrenia

I need some tips for living life, i want to improve my life

Thnx

7 Likes

10 tips:

1 Like

We are not in a race.

4 Likes

First tip is to forget you have sz. Try living your life as if you were healthy.

Second tip is to have the mindset of a warrior. Be fearless and fight for what you want. Donā€™t complain too much.

Third tip is to care for others more than they care for you. Donā€™t feel a victim. Feel like a hero.

6 Likes

Learn how to manage stress and if you canā€™t manage it learn how to keep it to a minimum.

3 Likes

I found this article:

I think itā€™s good for me and for you.

1 Like

be kind to others and donā€™t forget to be kind to yourself too

2 Likes

Take the opportunity to do something useful for others whenever you are feeling better in yourself. It doesnā€™t have to be much or too demanding.

Perhaps think about volunteering a few hours a day somewhere you find agreeable doing something worthwhile. Also, keep yourself motivated, willing and working at your recovery. Recovery is not a passive thing. Popping pills or taking depots is half the battle, the rest is squarely up to you. Just remember to be kind to yourself on your bad days; Trees bend in the wind and so must we.

2 Likes

Be assertive with the people who are in charge of caring for you. The squeaky wheel gets the grease.

1 Like

Get enough sleep.

Exercise.

Do one productive thing every day, even if it small and of no real consequence.

Never just sit and stare into a wall, it will become an endless abyss.

ROUTINE

ROUTINE

ROUTINE

4 Likes

My tip for people with schizophrenia is to take your medication unless otherwise specified by your psychiatrist.

3 Likes

@exhile love your tip.
And I will add:
Try to exercise daily and eat healthy.
Try to do the best you can under the difficult circumstances that you have to endure.

2 Likes

My biggest success is that I worked with my pdoc to get the right meds finallyā€¦it took about six years to get where I am with medsā€¦canā€™t emphasize that enoughā€¦try to keep busy when you have a lot of time on your hands.

2 Likes

@Erez_Shmerling Exercising and eating healthy should be everyoneā€™s goal and not just schizophrenics but this is not the case since some people in the human population donā€™t exercise and make bad eating choices.

1 Like

Remember your auditory hallucinations and intrusive thoughts (if you have them) arenā€™t really you

If the voices say nasty things to you donā€™t give them respect. Not only are they not people deserving of respect, they arenā€™t people at all.

Take meds as precribed and clear any changes to meds with your pdoc.

Donā€™t neglect your health. Stay active.

Donā€™t be too afraid of other people. Maybe not everyone is nice, but a lot of people are.

1 Like

This is all incredibly important.

Been out of hospital since 2008, after which I earned my BA and MA from a Cal State University. Hereā€™s what a few tips that got me through:

take the meds. yea, they cause weight gain and some cognitive issues, but thatā€™s little in comparison to where Iā€™d be if I hadnā€™t accepted that and consistently taken the meds: dead or institutionalized.

exercise and exercise daily. I do kickboxing 3-5 times a week, but I started that by just walking for 30 minutes, then an hour, then I took a judo class. It helps with the weight and increase of diabetes risks caused by some medications.

Watch how the Normals interact. Study them and their body language, use of tone, mannerisms, etcā€¦a lot can be learned on how to pass as normal by studying movies and documentaries with normal people in them. some say why? because it makes my life 100% easier if normals think iā€™m normal too. It leads to increased options in terms of work, relationships, etcā€¦no itā€™s not fair, but so it goes.

Never forget that you are a human with constitutional rights that deserves to work, live, love, and thrive without discrimination.

Donā€™t lose your hope. My first main pdoc took my hope away. He said to give up all my dreams, stay at home, just rest. It took me a while to rekindle my dreams and to act on them took even longer. Know that many of us have been at suicidal rock bottom and gotten out. It can be done.

Find something funny every day. I recommend Futurama and viral cat vids on youtube, but whatever gives you the giggles, watch it often. Laughter is healing.

Find some kind of support network, be it Forum, a friend, family member, social worker, or penpal. If you canā€™t, keep a diary and be your own support system. Root for yourself, encourage yourself, remind yourself that you deserve a better life and take little steps to head in that trajectory.

Read about sz, read about science, read about the law and rights of the disabled. Knowledge is power. Empower yourself.

Be kind to yourself and treat yourself to something nice. Self-care is super important for szā€™s. :heart: best of luck!

7 Likes