What are your opinions on the medication Latuda?

I took it for six months. I had more energy on it and could work for longer. That’s about it. Sleep was fine too. Please post.

They may has well have given me a bag of skittles but they meant well.

When I was on Latuda I was angry all the time. I don’t know if it was the Latuda or withdrawal from Geodon and Seroquel. Anyway, Geodon and Seroquel have gone generic by now, so they’re cheap, and for me they are effective. I got back on those drugs.

2 Likes

Latuda gave me my life back. It also gave me more energy… helped me get out of my deep negative symptom patch. I had a period there of some very deep negative symptoms.

I’m on 80 mg Latuda and 50 mg Seroquel… together… I think I’m doing better then I ever have.

lurasidone/Latuda is supposedly a very activating atypical - My pdoc suggested I try it, she mentioned it to me a few times.
I reminded her that I suffer from chronic and crippling anxiety - she then came to the realization that maybe Latuda would not be a good match for me, it is supposed to induce a lot of anxiety with people already prone to anxiety.

She now does not recommend it for me - it has significant antidepressant properties and may even trigger some mania in certain individuals - it is not FDA approved for mania, this concerns me

1 Like

I tried it after a stint in the hospital, probably not long enough to tell if it worked as I discontinued it after developing what I thought was a serious side effect that turned out to be :blush: something else entirely.

1 Like

How does it feel with reference to sedation?

Very good summation relative to what I have seen f2f with pts on Latuda lurasidone. If one is sz + moderately tilted to negative symptoms, the stuff seems dynamite. If the pt is sz with positive symptoms – including anxiety or mania – NOT so good. Anyone else on the forum see it this way?

1 Like

Interesting polypharmacy. Latuda + Seroquel to get some relief for neg symptoms with a little “compression” (via the Seroquel) to take some of the “edge” off the Latuda. Do you feel the hypnotic (sleep inducing) effect of the Seroquel? Do you take the Seroquel at night and the Latuda in the morning?

I do take Seroquel at night and the Latuda in the morning. I don’t feel knocked out by the Seroquel, or groggy… but after I take it, I’ll be comfortably asleep in about 45 minutes to an hour. No racing thoughts… no last minute paranoia spikes… It sort of feels like it slows the wheel in my head just enough…

I haven’t had to use a sleep aid of any kind in a while… no melatonin, no sleeping pills…

The Latuda has to be taken with food… so I take the pill with breakfast. In the morning, it does help me feel a bit more awake and ready to get going.

Due to some very large swings between energetic euphoria and nearly comatose moments of numb flat sorrow… I’ve been put on Depakote as well. The mood swings are leveling out now as well.

This sounds like a really good “cocktail.” You probably already know to take the Depakote valproix with food, as well. (You could pickle metal with that stuff.) And if Depakote does get to your stomach, there are plenty of other good alternatives like Lamictal lamotrigine, Trileptal oxcarbazepine, Tegretol carbemazepine and Topamax topamirate. (I had to switch to Tripetal after several years on Depakote. It worked great.)

1 Like

Latuda has worked best for me so far as it is not sedating. Still have some positive symptoms when under stress, but not as bad as Respiridone side effects.