What age were you when you got schizophrenia

My first ‘episode’ happened at about 13 years old, when I was dignoised with it at that age, but I feel I was born with this difference since it goes back as far as I remember. But the fist diagnosis came after my first 5150 at about 13 years old appx. Now they re-dignosed me Schizoaffective Disorder after this most recent 5150 hospitalization.

I started having a mental decline at about 14 or 15. From 16 onward I had paranoia off and on. I wasn’t diagnosed until I was 28.

20 is my first hospitalization

I got schizophrenia in my late 20s.

I have symptoms very similar to your’s. And I live a life not unlike your’s. Except, without the alcohol, the lockups, and the overdoses. I even have your philosophy. Peace and love.

It was at either 38 or 39.

I was 38 or 39 also. I tended to believe that to be fairly rare.

I was 25, psychotic break and hospitalization at 26. My prodrome probably started about 17.

I was originally diagnosed at 14 or 15.

I first started having voices at the age of eight. I started seeing the monster when I was nine. Barely talked the year I was ten. Left an abusive home lived out of my car-basically was homeless for five years. Moved in with my Aunt Kathy had my first steady job. Never lasted at a job for longer than a year because of the voices. At twenty six, I got up one morning decided that I was moving and packed up my car and drove from Michigan to North Carolina. I got pregnant was really harassed by the father. moved back to Michigan. fought with father for custody and visitation. I won custody. was tested for IQ was told it was 148. Psychologist that did my testing said that I took the personality and psycopathy tests well. Got a degree in Psychology. More issues were showing up, was kicked out of the masters program never given a reason. When back and a year later with voices screaming I got a teaching certificate for elementary education. I taught in the inner city and witnessed a lot of the things that I experienced as a teenager all over again. Got yelled at by the principal, in the middle of her screaming at me I slid down on the floor into a fetal position. I was taken to the hospital. there I met my psychiatrist. have been with him for eight years now. in 2013, he convinced me that it was time to try for disability that the symptoms were too severe. For me and I was under an extreme amount of stress. Still fighting to get the disability. have been diagnosed as schizoaffective depressive type, before that I was diagnosed as major depression with psychotic features.

1 Like

I first visited a psychiatrist and was diagnosed with depression at age 15 when I was still at school…then after I left school and join the workforce,two years later at work while working for my aunt,she observe something strange about me and took me to the psychiatrist with my consend…currently I still don’t know if it’s a good decision as something’s I think if I am never on psychiatric medication,maybe I would not have struggle mentally but since I am on it for 5 years already I got to accept it and deal with all the side effects the medication gave me

@karl,I hope the best for you would come soon but I believe that the harder and more struggle you go through…the stronger and better person you will become,you might agree with me too…we both struggle hard

i was 17 when i was 1st ill they put me in an adult ward witch was ment to be 18 but it was like 2weeks from my 18th Bday

I got ill when I was 23 years old but I hid it from the world for 8 years until I could hide it no more.

what age are you now martin? is that you in the avatar?

Had my first break at 18 3weeks after starting at a large university. It was all too much.
My roommate with superhuman strength saved me from going out the 7th floor of Elkton.
Growing up 2 schools wanted me evaluated.

I was discharged from the Air Force at 21 with schizotypal personality disorder. I was diagnosed with schizophrenia at age 35. The doc said the schizotypal personality disorder was my prodromal period.

I had symptoms since I was about 15 or 16. I was diagnosed bipolar 1 at 23 then schizoaffective at 31.

Age 30 at my birthday party in company of very messed up former friends, voices started for me…She is long gone but I still hear her family males talking in my head, threatening me and discussing their family abuse problems.

I’m 73 now. Yes that is me in the avatar.

2 Likes

I was 30 when I got some of the earliest voices such as ‘You are with the Devil’ and so on.