What age did you start smoking?

I started age 18 because the woman I was infatuated with went with my best friend. I never smoked a lot until I found marijuana, then mixed the weed with tobacco as the Brits tend to do. I quit the noxious weed (tobacco) age 31 and will never go back to that poison. What a crap addiction it is. It stinks and all people stink of it whether they know it or not. The tobacco high is rubbish and the necessity is keen, and barely stops.I wish I had never started that tobacco, but 14 years free of it only strengthens my hate of it.

2 Likes

U act like it’s all bad and a foolish habit. Cigarettes enabled me to do two years of college. They enable me to go on 3 hour hikes. They help motivate me to do everyday things. It’s good that u quit, but i just dont agree with u.

1 Like

Did nicotine or cigarettes help motivate you? If nicotine did then get on the patch or vape asap. If you smoke cigarettes and all of its poisons then you are dicing with early death. Your choice. Maybe a psychosomatic association may exist, but studies have shown that nicotine doesn’t aid cognition in the long run, and in the long run it will heighten your chance of early death.

1 Like

Yes they motivate, my reward circuits in brain dont function properly so replacing them with nicotine helps. Cancer would be a blessing too, but it’s unlikely for a while. We have different perspectives on it.

survival of the fittest!

1 Like

Me personally do not like it anymore. I moved on. I am a non-smoker and it stinks.

I am focusing on exercise. Tomorrow I have hot yoga and I love to smell nice and feel fresh and not cough disgusting stuff.

@Esm

Cancer is a slow and painful death, often filled with regret. It is no blessing. If you wanted to die then there are easier and less painful deaths.

Your assumption that cigarettes motivate you are a concept that exist in your own head alone. It has no scientific base. Maybe a placebo effect. It exists as an addiction with a self serving bias to quench the nicotine need that is served by smoking. Smoking is not your life though perhaps you believe it is when it is unnecessary and pointless. Attaching your body’s need for nicotine as a motivator is your perception. it could change if you actually wanted to live. That is obviously not a priority in many a szs life so is understandable.

I disagree. I know for a fact that cigarettes enable me to do things i would not otherwise do. My apartment went non-smoking in may and my motivation has gone down considerably. No science is gonna try to prove such a thing, but pleasure circuits in ur brain enable one to enjoy life and have motivation, circuits that sz’s are missing and therefore struggling with.

To be fair, there have been conflicting studies on cognition and sz and nicotine. Each concluding different points of view.

I can only say that if nicotine works for you then it would be advisable to get on gum, patches or vaping to fulfil your personal motivation rather than cigarettes which are mostly poison Good luck amigo. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I tried my first cigarette at 12. There were some older teenagers I used to run with at that time, and they offered me one. I thought it was cool (little did I know). I hated the taste immediately but I swallowed the smoke. The light high made me feel calm. I quit smoking after two weeks when something else caught my attention.

1 Like

Started at 15. 49 now. Desperate to quit.

1 Like

started at 11, smoked for a year then quit…but I did continue smoking other stuff…not heavy though…

1 Like