We schizophrenics compulsive liars?

There is a lot of gossip on the internet about us being compulsive liars. What do you think, are we more likely to lie? I think we are bigger machiavellians. It is a survival mechanism.

I was actually thinking about myself recently and wondering if I lie a lot and if I’m a good liar. I lie about my emotions almost everyday, I lie to get out of social situations, I lie so I don’t look bad to others (face to face). And I think I’m a good liar too. Do I relate this to my sz? No.

Like I said, it is a survival mechanism from being schizo.

1 Like

I can totally see that.

I scored high as a machiavellian on the dark triad. But honestly, I think the statistics on that are skewed by people who are not honest about themselves. That, or most people don’t grow up in dysfunctional households, take your pick.

1 Like

Life is so complex and the “normies” are so far behind in understanding us.

One mans lie is another’s truth

1 Like

Everyone engages in impression management and tries to impress other people. Because they have more to hide, sz’s might have to conceal more. I think we tell more white lies, but as far as cheating and conniving go, we’re no worse than anyone else.

3 Likes

No, I don’t think those with Sz are compulsive liars. The majority of all humans tell lies during their lives. I think Sz sufferers get that label due to what the disease does. It distorts the person’s perception of reality, so they say untrue things. But the person isn’t lying. It’s how the disease distorts things in their mind. Plus Sz causes memory problems. The person can accidentally not say the truth because they honestly don’t remember. That isn’t lying either. In order to lie, you have to consciously choose to tell something other than the truth. So those who don’t know the person has Sz or doesn’t understand what it does to the person may see that person as a compulsive liar. As for consciously lying, those with Sz don’t seem to do any more than any other person.

4 Likes

I was a pretty big liar in my prodrome. It was mainly to cover up my inadequacies and failings because of my illness.

After I became more florid, I pretty much abandoned lying altogether, because there was no reason to cover up any more.

Now I find at work I’m more honest than most people, because occasionally people feel the need to cover things up so the company doesn’t look bad. Because of this, I’m viewed as a bit of a nervous Nelly who’s too honest much of the time.

I understand what you mean. Those who are honest are seen as abnormal and not trusted. Honest people are treated like those who do lie often. Life makes no sense.

1 Like

Yes, they call us liars perhaps because they have a cartoon understanding about what this is like and if our first hand accounts were accurate it would indeed mean something was going on - that is my guess!

I lie about my life and thats a means to keeping the world distant from me.

More like I lie about my mental/emotional state to try to make it seem like it isn’t as bad as it is because I don’t want to attract attention…other than that no, I rarely lie, unless it’s like a dumb white lie. Lying isn’t really useful in my eyes, generally backfires.

nope wrong im a â– â– â– â–  liar and brutally honest to a fault.

2 Likes

i am the opposite…i always tell the truth…to the extent it is cringe worthy…
my sister inlaw never asks me about her wieght anymore :smile:
take care :alien:

3 Likes

I think every person does that. We all say “It’s fine… I’m Ok” when they aren’t.

or… "Sorry I can’t work that extra shift… I’ve got an appointment… " I don’t mention I have an appointment with a nap.

For me… I think it’s because so many of my perceptions are off. There were times I was SURE my brother was around. only I hallucinated him. I have a false memory about a trip to Spain… only I’ve never been there. Between the false memories and the unreal perceptions… my time line isn’t as solid as others.

1 Like

We are not far from understanding…I feel I’m not understood. No one knows the definition of normal.

the voices lie to us , we lie to our psychiatrists , the psychiatrists lie back to us , we lie to the voices , we lie to ourselves , in reality we need to be on par with these voices , knowing the truth even if we dont like it , even if it changes nothing , but just knowing the truth itself and what a lie is and when we are telling them to ourselves used as excuses

1 of my sayings that i need to follow more often (i have alot of them) is that : i dont wanna hear it , excuses are excuses , give me your reason

I’m not compulsive about it per se but I am a survival liar. Like, if it makes survival easier for me, I’ll lie about my sz. I lie about my sz all the time. I say I don’t have it. If you find out I take pills I say they’re for bipolar and anxiety. I lie about appointments to the doctor.

I lie about the decade I spent in and out of psych wards, I just say that I couldn’t find work, but tried.true, but I couldn’t find work because I was psychotic (albeit, one time I got 2 jobs while psychotic, it was weird, but I kept one job for like 3 years on and off meds until i fell off and went full psychotic).

I lied to the police who didn’t believe me and carted me off in restraints. I lied because I hate restraints and think they’re inhuman and torturous.

I have no problem lying if the truth will get me put into restraints, make me lose my job, or open me up for potential discrimination. In that sense, I’m Machiavellian-ish.