Veganism - What are your thoughts?

I am going to start easing myself into veganism because it will help me to have a healthier lifestyle and hopefully cure my disordered eating.

What are your personal views on veganism?

It is quite common amongst my generation to be vegetarian/vegan but very few older people choose this lifestyle…

I am thinking maybe they are less empathetic towards animal cruelty or perhaps they are so used to eating meat and animal products all of their lives, that they don’t see anything wrong with it.

5 Likes

Everything, everyone eventually dies. There’s no getting over it. Might as well benefit off the process.

Just make sure you get enough vitamin b if you go vegan, especially b-12

1 Like

I think that these arguments on animal cruelty are based on the wrong antropomorphic assumption that animal suffering is like human suffering.
Originally we needed to eat animals because there was not much to eat and they could eat what we couldn’t.
Nowadays it has become very expensive to produce meat and therefore we could reduce human suffering by saving the money used for animal breeding.

2 Likes

I think vegatable protein breaks down quicker and easier than animal protein. Also, a vegan diet could help remove a lot of animal fat and cholesterol from your diet. So, veganism is probably healthy, though I think there are some nutrients that are hard to get if you don’t eat meat. As for the morality of it, much of that depends on where you are on animal rights. I think it is wrong to inflict unnecessary suffering, but I don’t follow that principle to the point of not eating meat.

1 Like

I wish you luck. I am a carnivore…can’t get away from eating steaks and chicken…good for you !!

2 Likes

I was vegan for about a year, vegetarian for years before and after that.

@zeno is absolutely right.

Veganism is more of a lifestyle than a diet, its the “gluten free” gimmick of yesteryear.

You’re not really doing animals or your body any favors, so its more about just being kinda pretentious.

At least that has been my take.

The time I was vegan was miserable. I spent all my time trying to adjust recipes and make something decent. Ends up, animal products make up ALL the good food.

Milk in your coffee? No.

Cheese? No.

Honey on english muffins? No.

You spend so much time trying to figure out your diet. Granted, you do kinda get in a zone where you know all the substitutions and trust worthy brands. But you are still VERY limited and end up just eating the same things over and over and over.

Not for me.

Any diet that doesn’t allow butter can ■■■■ right off.

2 Likes

I was brought up as a vegetarian. The two reasons originate from my parents proactive view of human health and animal welfare.They were not at all squeamish about animals for food as my mum was raised on a livestock farm. And my grandfather was a farm manager and did an apprenticeship as a butcher in his youth. I witnessed when I was 11yrs old live animals being slaughtered in front of me.

I guess my parents wanted me to see where food actually comes from when it’s not immobile wrapped and neatly packed on a supermarket shelf. It opened my eyes to the reality of the death behind the money. Mass production of animals bred for food on an industrial scale does mean animal welfare suffers. I could take you to any large scale farm and show you evidence that standards slide from abhorrent mistreatment of pigs and cattle to filthy unsanitary conditions where animals hobble around on ulcerated legs. Processed meat also increases inflammation of enzymes in the small intestine and bowels that causes Cancer. You can check all this out over at the bbc news website.

That’s why buying free range meat produced to British animal welfare standards is a good way to know things are as they should be. CCTV is also going to be introduced into all UK abattoirs by next year. It ensures animals are treated with dignity .

If you try veganism, replacing diary with a suitable option will be difficult but not impossible. There are lots of different milk-substitutes such as almond milk, coconut milk, alpro light milk and soya fortified with vitamins and calcium. Protein is easily found in innumerable products today; you will not have a problem finding it.

Veganism wasn’t for me but it may be for you. Being vegetarian did me no harm and continues to do me no harm. I feel as strong as an ox and have no physical health problems whatsoever.

3 Likes

I’ve tried eating more vegetarian stuff but quite frankly most of the supermarket vegetarian stuff is crap .

1 Like

The real veggetarian stuff are fresh vegetables and legumes. :slight_smile:

1 Like

For some reason, my mum is being really moody since I told her I want to be vegan.

I went food shopping earlier and bought some vegan foods (with my own money) and I can tell she’s not happy with it. Now she keeps shouting and swearing at the smallest things and using a rude tone of voice to me.
And she keeps saying things like “When are you going to eat THAT?” even for things that don’t go out of date for another 3 months! Why does she care? I’m 18 for goodness sake!!! I’m sick of her controlling what I eat all of the time.

Animals feel pain and suffering the same as humans.

2 Likes

Now my parents keep saying things like “don’t forget to drink that smoothie you bought”, “don’t forget about that coconut water”, “remember you still have soya milk” like do they think I have put these things in the fridge just for decoration??

Of course I’m going to drink them…

It is not possible without a human brain.

Pffffft! And you know that how exactly?

I am older and a vegan. I find it healthy. My weight is stable and I get compliments on my clear skin tone. Vegan foods can be very tasty, too. Not like wolfing down hamburgers.

2 Likes

My sister is a religious vegan. I don’t even want to think of the topic (she talks about it nonstop).

meh. I thought about going vegetarian more seriously at one time. Every time i bite a drumstick and find those vessels in there, I pick them out. Too gross for me. I am pretty certain others just eat them.

When ever i started to gather info on how-to, that is when I gave up. I simply had too much else to do. Each recipe i found had some odd ingredient i would never find locally. The information on which vitamin suppliments to use to safe guard against malnutrion was sketchy and were just far fetched ads by small companies with monitery motives. Advocates of vegetarian/vegan diets used scare tactics and fearmongering in there blogs. Guilt trips of animal creulty were thick and graphic on utube.It was all very confusing and emotionally tiring.
The only truth i found in any of it is that humans who eat no meat do get vitaman B12 shortages.
Of the animals themselves - i dont hate them. But thinking we will save them by not eating our share of meat is probably false. There are tons of farmers who must shoot or otherwise exterminate wild life to protect themselves and crops from large financial loss. Feral hogs mostly but certainly other wild animal will destroy large amounts of crops (up to a fourth acre) per night. So even if i do eat vegetarian, animals will still die. Protecting crops by killing animals trying to eat the crops is common.
If it was easier to go vegetarian i would though. Simply cause eating meat is tasty but still rather gross. meh.

1 Like

It is totally possible to feel pain with out a human brain: If a dog is kicked it will scream.

They have brains, nervous systems, eyes, ears, stomaches, livers, intestines, bones mucsles ect.

99% of drugs used in human medicine is used in animal medicine, both otc and Rx.

They get the same illness and diseases as humans such as thyroid disorders and cancer. In humans and animals diseases are diagnosed and treated with the same methods.

4 Likes

I was working on going vegan. The real benefit is in your stomach culture and overall bacteria intake.

I’ll probably always cheat though.

Spicy lentil soup and whole wheat loaf… Good ■■■■. I love bread bowls.

Veganism really is the winner diet. It’s tough as hell to pull off in a satisfying way. I call it Jedi food.

2 Likes

More meat for me. Yay.

3 Likes